Discuss RCBO installtion in old MCU following EICR Report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

It is for renting the property yes as otherwise nothing needs doing I was told. To be honest, I understand everything that has been said so far the problem I am getting is no electrician is willing to change the RCBOs and pass EICR and these are coming from Checkatrade and mybuilder websites. Same stories, its plastic, no SPD so it won't pass EICR. In fact only the front lid is plastic, the casing is metal but even then I have not been able to find anyone to do this. I did have another person come in today to have a look and he gave a very different view. He said he would put in additional one RCD breaker in one of the spare blanks in the middle of the MCU to protect the 4 MCBs on the left and that should be fine so not sure what to make of this one. Could this work instead of the RCBO option?

Where would be the best place to find an electrician who could do this? Would it be someone who is NICEIC Approved because I have had one who was and told me if its plastic, no RCBOs and EICR will not pass and SPD required. Where would be the best place to find one?

You could move the socket circuits onto RCBOs on the mainswitch side and replace lighting / smokes with RCBO, move cooker onto Type AC RCD side (resistive load) and then have a mainswitch way left for a retro fit Surge kit. If you wanted to...

Note than a SPD does not have to be inside the CU. Someone posted a link on here to a combined SPD and mains isolator, a week or so ago, that would fit nicely inside a meter cabinet, or anywhere in the tails between meter and CU.

Theres room for all 6 circuits to go on the left, so just 6 rcbos 🤒 thats literally all he needs to do. Leave the rcd, or take it out and blank it, makes zero difference. Electricalcompetentperson.co.uk may find you another electrician, doesnt need to be niceic. Get off checkatrade etc. Or get the one you had onto this page if youve already paid for a report. I wonder if we could see the rest of the report?

Still unsure. Is OP the landlord or tenant of this property?

I don’t think reading the EICR is going to help…. They seem to have C2ed everything just to get an UNSATISFACTORY and force an awkward board change.

There has been suggestions on how rcbo’s can fit this board to satisfy some of it, but a non combustible cover for the board could be the sticky bit.

Fitting a new board on the surface is the only answer I can see…. That gives rcd protection where it’s needed, an SPD, non combustible materials…. Off the shelf components and straightforward. Only downside is the surface mounting.

Also, to clarify, you don’t need to use the same electrician that did the EICR to do the remedial work.

Although I did say it before, it’s unfair to suggest all electricians on mybuilder or whatever are unscrupulous… there are some good ones, I’m sure.
Word of mouth recommendations are possibly a better bet here. Are there any neighbours that have had work done recently that you could speak to for names?

This one:
Good shout, so if they just get 6 rcbos to put everything on the left, pull the old rcd out to free up one more connection on that bar for that spd its all done 👍🏻

There has been suggestions on how rcbo’s can fit this board to satisfy some of it, but a non combustible cover for the board could be the sticky bit.

I read it as he's a landlord and going to be letting it.

Plastic front would only attract a C3, and thats only if its in the sole means of escape

Plastic front would only attract a C3, and thats only if its in the sole means of escape
i agree.... but OP has commented that plastic front is one of the reasons its unsatisfactory....

The whole report is a work of fiction, but if OP is adamant its going to be done, then a whole new non-combustible board, with spd and all that.... would be the answer.... its just going to have to be surface mounted. (OP isnt going to be living there anyway?)
Rather than spending time looking for compatible parts, long lead times.....

A reputable spark, a bit of board to cover the hole...a handful of WAGO's to extend the circuits and an all rcbo board with spd, off the shelf at whichever wholesaler is closest.... job could be done in a day.

I don’t think reading the EICR is going to help…. They seem to have C2ed everything just to get an UNSATISFACTORY and force an awkward board change.

Fitting a new board on the surface is the only answer I can see…. That gives rcd protection where it’s needed, an SPD, non combustible materials…. Off the shelf components and straightforward. Only downside is the surface mounting.

Also, to clarify, you don’t need to use the same electrician that did the EICR to do the remedial work.

Although I did say it before, it’s unfair to suggest all electricians on mybuilder or whatever are unscrupulous… there are some good ones, I’m sure.
Word of mouth recommendations are possibly a better bet here. Are there any neighbours that have had work done recently that you could speak to for names?

Apologises, I am a landlord. I read somewhere that for landlords SPDs are mandatory on MCUs or on electric meters?

Thanks. Had another opinion on this and whilst the RCBO option he said is doable , effectively we are altering an existing installation so it needs to comply with latest legislation so it needs new board that is metal and SPD . This applies to new installation and amendments and alterations to existing installation such as adding RCBOs to older boards he said as that is what the latest BS7671 reg says I have been advised

Thanks. Had another opinion on this and whilst the RCBO option he said is doable , effectively we are altering an existing installation so it needs to comply with latest legislation so it needs new board that is metal and SPD . This applies to new installation and amendments and alterations to existing installation such as adding RCBOs to older boards he said as that is what the latest BS7671 reg says I have been advised

Incorrect.

Reply to RCBO installtion in old MCU following EICR Report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net