Discuss DIN rail transformer left loose inside consumer unit enclosure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a doorbell I want to install. The issue is the 16v transformer is designed to sit on a DIN rail. I have a 10 way 17th edition BG Nexus consumer unit which is fully loaded with RCBO's.

I got a guy round for a quote and he said if it won't fit on the DIN rail it would be fine to leave it loose inside the unit. I'd prefer a larger enclosure than have a secondary consumer unit box next to it as I want to keep the overall wall space taken up by the CU, Meter and incoming supply as small possible as it sits above the front door.

Is leaving it loose acceptable? Are there any regulations that say this is not ok?

I have a doorbell I want to install. The issue is the 16v transformer is designed to sit on a DIN rail. I have a 10 way 17th edition BG Nexus consumer unit which is fully loaded with RCBO's.

I got a guy round for a quote and he said if it won't fit on the DIN rail it would be fine to leave it loose inside the unit. I'd prefer a larger enclosure than have a secondary consumer unit box next to it as I want to keep the overall wall space taken up by the CU, Meter and incoming supply as small possible as it sits above the front door.

Is leaving it loose acceptable? Are there any regulations that say this is not ok?
Unacceptable I'm afraid.

Not disagreeing, but is there a reg for it?
It’s not like the transformer has a switch on it like and mcb that needs to be user accessible.

Internal space might be a factor…. And personally, I don’t like running ELV bell wire in with mains….

There are plenty 2 module enclosures on the market that will hold the transformer… quite slim too. Try eBay or Amazon for cheapness.

Having a transformer on the loose inside the CU seems bad practice, but putting it in an external DIN box would seem the obvious solution.

Better in fact, as you can isolate the primary at the CU, safely work around the transformer, and don't have to work in the dark while dealing with the ELV secondary that feeds to door bell.

EDIT: @davesparks suggestion seems a more obvious solution!

Reply to DIN rail transformer left loose inside consumer unit enclosure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net