Search the forum,

Discuss My "Line/Wago" Products experience... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for replying. We are always looking for ways to improve our products therefore always trying to understand reasons for criticism.

I have commented in blue text.

I don't understand? What you are saying seems contradictory....

If you assumed a maximum of 3 X 2.5s why didn't you make the line boxes able to take them without modification? We assumed two out of each end so a total of 4. The size of the opening is dictated by IP2X requirements. So making a larger diameter would not work and changing the shape would have messed with the IP67 option.

Also, whoever mentioned 32A lever connections? The maximum current when using 2.5mm with lever connectors is 26A not 32A, says so on the connectors themselves if you look closely enough. Please see the next post (yellowvanman) post where I will ask a question about this - But I admit that I had assumed a ring, though with hindsight only one spur is allowed per point so it could not have been.

The nature of my installation was that I was splitting a radial into 3, and I wanted 1 cable going in and 3 coming out. I agree that sometimes if one of the cables comes from one direction and the other three go off in another direction it can look neater if one comes in one end and three go out the other. The "other box" would have all 4 coming out of one end. LINE two out of each end or LINE modified one out one end and three out of the other end.

I have not finished as yet, and might yet return to using adapted Line Boxes. Just wish they did not need to be reamed beforehand understood. It's a bit more effort but if you have the length of cables you can just insert 2, sandwich the third between and pull through.

But for a ring circuit cables/connections only need to be capable of 20A.

Please help me understand. I agree that when splicing two cables you only have to consider the current carrying capability of the cable or fuse rating but:

In a ring with a spur it is quite feasible that the spur will draw 32A (or 30A say two 15A appliances or a fault). Therefore, 30A would be flowing through the connector. Minimum rating of the connector should be 30A or fuse rating.

Is this correct?

But for a ring circuit cables/connections only need to be capable of 20A.

What I was questioning was the assumption that I was using lever connectors, as I never mentioned anything about the connectors I was using. As it happens, because I'm doing 1 in, 3 out, I'm using Wago 4 way push-in's :smiley2:

Please help me understand. I agree that when splicing two cables you only have to consider the current carrying capability of the cable or fuse rating but:

In a ring with a spur it is quite feasible that the spur will draw 32A (or 30A say two 15A appliances or a fault). Therefore, 30A would be flowing through the connector. Minimum rating of the connector should be 30A or fuse rating.

Is this correct?
As per the regs (sorry I've only got the red book here - green is in the van) 433.1.5, it states that the current carrying capacity of the cables on a ring should be at least 20A. So it assumes that on a 32A ring that parts of the consumed current flows in different directions back to the consumer unit. The proportion in each leg depends on the position of the current consumed on the ring itself.
It was my assumption that each connection on the wago can take 26A.
So if you have a 2 gang spur, max current is 26A (2 x 13A probably a lot less most of the time and generally in a new build 2.5 wouldn't be big enough for current carrying capacity, with all that insulation around!), this flows into the wago connector on one contact, it then 'splits' down the 2 legs of the ring, so no one leg takes the whole 26A, and if you're close the the mid way point then 13A will flow in the 2 directions.
This is my interpretation could be wrong, but would be interested to see what feedback you get from Wago.

Sorry wasn't meant as a critism. Aren't the levers better than push-in for ccc?

It would appear my eyesight :dozey: is failing me , apparently lever blocks are rated at 24A for 2.5, not 26A as I previously stated. The lettering is so damn small.

But in answer to your question, they both (lever & push-in) seem to be rated at 24A for 2.5mm. As I need 4 way connections, using the 5 lever ones seems unnecessary, when there are 4 way push-in ones readily available that fit the bill.

:)

It would appear my eyesight :dozey: is failing me , apparently lever blocks are rated at 24A for 2.5, not 26A as I previously stated. The lettering is so damn small.

But in answer to your question, they both (lever & push-in) seem to be rated at 24A for 2.5mm. As I need 4 way connections, using the 5 lever ones seems unnecessary, when there are 4 way push-in ones readily available that fit the bill.

:)
Are you sure?
Check out this page:
Wago Online Katalog

Seems to say the lever connectors are rated at 32A, or is it related to cable size as well? Haven't had chance to look at a connector itself though!

Are you sure?
Check out this page:
Wago Online Katalog

Seems to say the lever connectors are rated at 32A, or is it related to cable size as well? Haven't had chance to look at a connector itself though!

Well it definitely says 2.5 - 24A and 4 - 32A (I'm presuming that the 2.5 and 4 are both mm sizes) on the bottom of the lever blocks I have, but now I'm beginning to think that different countries have approved it at different ratings, as next to those ratings is an ENEC logo, a quick Google check of them gives this...

ENEC

But the ratings on the blocks themselves are different from the Wago webpage, as the webpage makes no reference to the item being rated differently depending on what CSA cable is used??
Now I'm totally confused :sick:

These connectors are fantastic for replacing ceiling roses where room is essential to terminate connectors. Using the push in type for cpc is a must for me, as this often bends away and its not clear if a good contact has been made. Using the clear push type shows connection. I have not used the line box, only the wago junction box with no snags. I will be purchasing the line box. Good thread.

These connectors are fantastic for replacing ceiling roses where room is essential to terminate connectors. Using the push in type for cpc is a must for me, as this often bends away and its not clear if a good contact has been made. Using the clear push type shows connection. I have not used the line box, only the wago junction box with no snags. I will be purchasing the line box. Good thread.

I use the clear push fits for CPC's wherever possible too for the same issue you mention. All too often those little bleeders do not terminate correctly first time due to the sleeving moving instead of the cable.

You'll love the line enclosure, if you suffer with cramps then I am sure this will make your life even easier:thumbsup

Another good use for these enclosures for me has been on the rewire I am currently working on where I have tested the lighting circuits, bypassed the switches and made safe by zip tying inside the enclosure. This means the lights can still be energised, everyone can go about their work safely, accessories aren't getting ruined and down-lighter cables can be left made safe too :D Even the plasterer seems to be happy with them left in position too :D

Wholesaler recently threw a load of the Line twist connectors at us. Surprised at the quality of them and how well they hold, now keep a variety with me :icon4:

i have ordered 20 line boxes and loads of 2 and 3 lever wago's today for a job i got on wednsday replacing 20 standard downlights for 20 fire rated ones, lets see how much time i will save, i am already a convert to wagos, just used a load replacing some old strip lights in a school kitchens for vapourproofs :smile5:

i have ordered 20 line boxes and loads of 2 and 3 lever wago's today for a job i got on wednsday replacing 20 standard downlights for 20 fire rated ones, lets see how much time i will save, i am already a convert to wagos, just used a load replacing some old strip lights in a school kitchens for vapourproofs :smile5:

How did the job go?

Have been using the Wago connectors and the Line boxes and boy it's wonderful, yep I'm over the moon, the wago's are so handy and easy to use and the line boxes compliment the wago's when fitting downlighters- its so easy we cut our holes and terminate the cables in the line boxes which enables us to test before we fit the downlighters and after its painted we can fit the lights-simples, honestly it's a no brainer:tongue3:

line1.jpgline2.jpgline3.jpgline4.jpgline5.jpgline6.jpgline7.jpgline8.jpgline9.jpghere we are: verdict, thumbs ups :hurray:

line1.jpg

line2.jpg

line3.jpg

line4.jpg

line5.jpg

line6.jpg

line7.jpg

line8.jpg

line9.jpg

Reply to My "Line/Wago" Products experience... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back