Search the forum,

Discuss non compliant in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

C3 recommended improvement. What's the harm.
You can recommend improvement if you believe a defect justifies it.

This does not mean that non-compliances which you do not consider have safety implications should attract mention/coding on the Report - it is clear that they shouldn't.

That's the thing, it's not clear.
We are only required to report dangerous or potentially dangerous conditions, yet there is a code specifically for non dangerous conditions.

yet there is a code specifically for non dangerous conditions.

No. There is an observation code (C3) for improvement recommended.

So if improvement is not recommended then it shouldn't be mentioned.

Here is a useful document from the IET's Wiring Matters about it:

electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/41/condition-codes.cfm?type=pdf

Last edited:
No not strictly true.
For instance if I were to inspect a 3 bedroom house, I might consider there is not enough sockets in the bedrooms.
My reasons might be that as the house is likely to be used by a family, children's bedrooms will need sufficient sockets for computer games, TVs, phone chargers, toys, etc.
Not sure what code could be applied from BS 7671.
I once saw a convector heater with no legs sitting directly on top of a work surface.
I applied a code C2, as the bottom vents were blocked by the work surface, preventing air circulation.
Again not sure which code from BS 7671 would apply.

EICRs don't cover appliances plugged in to the fixed wiring installation, neither does BS 7671

having a good read of the best practise guide 4 and reading the non compliant with bs 7671 that do not give rise to danger and do not require reporting confusing I must say ie in the past ive allways given a code 3 for switch wires that have no brown sleeving on ie blue cables but it states that you don't give it a code its just non compliant with bs7671 but surely if its non compliant it wants reporting your thoughts please
A no code, obviously.

No. There is an observation code (C3) for improvement recommended.

So if improvement is not recommended then it shouldn't be mentioned.

Here is a useful document from the IET's Wiring Matters about it:

electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/41/condition-codes.cfm?type=pdf
Love it.
You disagree with me, then post a link that says exactly what I have said.

Not certain that I have ever said that the new code C3 is the same as the old code 4?
Though I do agree with Richard where he says that the philosophy of the old code 4 is incorporated into the new code C3.
However all that aside, my comment was regarding the fact that we are only required to report on conditions which are dangerous or potentially dangerous, yet we have a code for conditions which are neither.

It should be noted that the articles in Wiring Matters are opinions of the authors and are not necessarily those of the IET.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to non compliant in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock