Search the forum,

Discuss Old Stranded Steel conductors in house wiring. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think we have a newbe who is a bit green but wants to do a good job and whats right for his customers, maybe we could try to help just this once.

- - - Updated - - -

But I would get that regs book out my boy

Thanks Stuartcourt.

I am taking everything one step at a time. If anything is beyond me I aint touching it. I may be new as an electrician but I want to do it right. I didn't serve an apprenticeship because I wasn't lucky enough back in those days. No ones going to give me an apprenticeship at 47 so I had no other choices open to me.

no prob you are in for some stick hope you have thick skin, we do have so many people flooding our trade who dont give a ****, you came across to me a genuine so good luck and stay on forum you will learn alot (the hard way me thinks)

no prob you are in for some stick hope you have thick skin, we do have so many people flooding our trade who dont give a ****, you came across to me a genuine so good luck and stay on forum you will learn alot (the hard way me thinks)
Yeah I can take the hard way, I will stick around and annoy everyone it's worth it in the end......Lol.

test the install to BS7671....
you wont/cant really say owt else until you have...
a good start would be a quick Ze, and an IR (l-E & N-E)....if permission is granted by the customer....
IR test between the neutrals as well....
if its a board change then better to know now....rather than any nasty surprises later on

test the install to BS7671....
you wont/cant really say owt else until you have...
a good start would be a quick Ze, and an IR (l-E & N-E)....if permission is granted by the customer....
IR test between the neutrals as well....
if its a board change then better to know now....rather than any nasty surprises later on
Cheers, will do. :yes:

Breaker,

as you will need to do notifiable work for your ELECSA assessment, then I think the only way forward is for you to install a new circuit for the additional sockets.

Then there is no need to worry about having two different types of wiring on one circuit or having to check the existing ring final before making additions.

Just make sure earthing/ bonding is up to scratch and you add the required RCD protection which might be seperate RCD to the consumer unit.

What type of consumer unit is it and do you have any spare ways on it?

Breaker,

as you will need to do notifiable work for your ELECSA assessment, then I think the only way forward is for you to install a new circuit for the additional sockets.

Then there is no need to worry about having two different types of wiring on one circuit or having to check the existing ring final before making additions.

Just make sure earthing/ bonding is up to scratch and you add the required RCD protection which might be seperate RCD to the consumer unit.

What type of consumer unit is it and do you have any spare ways on it?
rubbish...
you need to confirm that any existing circuit/s that you intend to add to/extend/modify are up to it...
this would go for any circuit

Glennspark what I am saying is that for his assessment then adding spurs to the ring final is not enough work for his assessor to see.

Therefore, by installing a new circuit he will satisfy his assessment requirements and he will not need to check the existing RFC as he wont be touching it.

However, if he is to modify any existing circuit, then yes preliminary checks should be made prior to any work undertaken.

Taken from the ELECSA website for types of work for assessment:
- A fully completed rewire

- The addition of a new circuit (i.e. a shower)

- The addition of a number of circuits (i.e. ground floor/first

floor extension)

- A supply to an external garage or outbuilding with further

subcircuits within that building.

Also dont forget that now the new changes to Part P have come in to effect in England that additions to circuits in a kitchen are no longer notifiable, so Breaker will have to make sure he has notifiable work for his assessment.

Last edited:
The client has an old distribution board with two 30a fuses and thats it. Ring main and lights are on there own 30A fuse. Everything else has its own board. The only RCD he has is for the shower. He needs a new CCU to tidy this lot up I think. Would a newly fitted CCU with the existing wiring and the extra sockets be enough for the elecsa assessment?

If I can use this job to get me through the assessment then great but I don't want to do any unnecessary work that will rip the guy off. But I genuinely think he needs a new CCU. He needs RCD's on those circuits.

The client has an old distribution board with two 30a fuses and thats it. Ring main and lights are on there own 30A fuse. Everything else has its own board. The only RCD he has is for the shower. He needs a new CCU to tidy this lot up I think. Would a newly fitted CCU with the existing wiring and the extra sockets be enough for the elecsa assessment?

If I can use this job to get me through the assessment then great but I don't want to do any unnecessary work that will rip the guy off. But I genuinely think he needs a new CCU. He needs RCD's on those circuits.

Yes this should be fine for assessment, but if your in any doubt then call ELECSA for confirmation.

Dont know about the rest of the guys on here but I always think CCU cooker control unit, CU Consumer Unit

Reply to Old Stranded Steel conductors in house wiring. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back