Discuss Old Stranded Steel conductors in house wiring. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Breaker

Hi.

I visited a clients bungalow today as I am looking for some work to get registered by elecsa.

The client wanted some new sockets fitted and after a quick check I noticed that he has no RCD protection for his ring main or his lighting. I then examined the wiring to find that it is the old steel wiring. I was wondering whether it would be worth conducting a test first or is the property well overdue for a rewire.

Thanks.

as above. try a magnet. if it's tinned coppedr stranded, then it's better cable than the crap we use now. just watch out that it's not aluminium, though.

Thanks monkeyelectric.

If the client declines the rewire but still wants the extra sockets, should I refuse to put in any extra sockets unless he has the rewire. The whole lot looks pretty knackered really. He needs a new ccu as well.

Thanks monkeyelectric.

If the client declines the rewire but still wants the extra sockets, should I refuse to put in any extra sockets unless he has the rewire. The whole lot looks pretty knackered really. He needs a new ccu as well.

WTF ???

cant have more sockets without a rewire ??? lmao

just update the circuit that supply the sockets, first test the current circuit to check its servicable then install RCD protection etc..., minor works cert, jobs a gooden

will also want bonding done if not already

just because its old, doesnt make it knackered

Thanks monkeyelectric.

I was being sarcastic! You need to do tests not just assume its shot and needs rewiring!

I could not agree more! Why do people see old cable and without doing any tests write the cable off and suggest a rewire! It may still be serviceable or it may not but a range of tests will confirm instead of ripping people off for no reason

+1, this is sadly very much the norm out there. feel sorry for the customer

just because its old, doesnt make it knackered

told you to stop talking about me . LOL.

+1, this is sadly very much the norm out there. feel sorry for the customer
I know its like taking your car to the garage for new tyres and the mechanic condeming it and saying it needs a new engine, gearbox, brakes and bodyshell before he can change the tyres, there's a lot of people being ripped off for no reason these days, perhaps i should lose my conscience and join in! This time next year i'll be a millionaire rodders

Fair play to you breaker, I think you have your answer, the hard way as always here. Do your tests if its good then weave your magic if not then tell them the good/bad news.

I agree, thats why I was asking. The last thing I want to do is rip anyone off. :yes:
But if you're qualified and going to register with Elecsa then you should know that you need to test an installation and not just replace it if it looks old, i think you ideally need a little more experience in existing installations alongside an experienced spark before registering and going on your own

I did my 17th edition last August and the EAL a couple of months back. I am still studying the advanced inspection and testing and Photovoltaics. I am just taking it a step at a time.

Reply to Old Stranded Steel conductors in house wiring. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net