Currently reading:
Pet hates

Discuss Pet hates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone's pet hates are. You know, those things that really get on your ----. I went to a job last week and there was a massive gap between the backboxes and accessories - I'm talking about a 5cm gap here. I thought the accessory and backbox were supposed to form an enclosure! It really annoys me!

or customers who splash out £8000 on a kitchen/bathroom but won't part with a couple of hundred to make the electrics safe.

Customers who think about garden power/lighting projects all year and then call in November when its cold and wet and horrible to get it done because
"we need some lights in the garden for Christmas"

those vile things that put partitions up... what a nightmare... on one job they just boarded over all our cables and backboxes. nothing a lump hammer didnt sort out though ;)

any other trade who is on price work... they dont give a **** about you.

I've been to a job this morning and found another.........Customer called and said that the RCBO for the lighting in the garage kept tripping, went to investigate and found that i couldn't remove the screws on the metal-clad switch, customer then popped his head round and said "you wont get that open....i've put thread-lock on the screws"....."why" i said......"cause you never know" he replied :goofy:

I've been to a job this morning and found another.........Customer called and said that the RCBO for the lighting in the garage kept tripping, went to investigate and found that i couldn't remove the screws on the metal-clad switch, customer then popped his head round and said "you wont get that open....i've put thread-lock on the screws"....."why" i said......"cause you never know" he replied :goofy:

We should have thread for “Classics”. Because that would go amongst them.

OK my classic was an electrician putting hydraulic sealant on the faces of the connections of water cooled cables. 4000A trying to get through PTFE sealant, after 3 days the connections looked like Trafalgar Square. For some strange reason the supply kept tripping on earth leakage, I wonder why?

Classics...........well the lad that helps me out, was complaining that my trusty old tranny was getting difficult to retract the 110 lead out of, told him on his next trip to the van, grab the small tub of clear grease of the rack, happen to step over the tranny a hour later to find a pot of conduit glue sat on top of the tranny, I hope he hasnt done what i think he has, thinks I!,............oh yes he has!

Doing fault finding when you have asked all the right questions only to find out later the householder had had a go himself but was to embarrassed to tell you. Mind you at least they have to pay for 3 hours instead of 1.

Once found a handyman fixing a big brass plaque to a beautifully finished red brick wall with what he thought was adhesive. Turned out to be expanding foam...all over the wall...and still carried on, expecting it to stick. More than a pet hate for him, methinks.

I've been to a job this morning and found another.........Customer called and said that the RCBO for the lighting in the garage kept tripping, went to investigate and found that i couldn't remove the screws on the metal-clad switch, customer then popped his head round and said "you wont get that open....i've put thread-lock on the screws"....."why" i said......"cause you never know" he replied

When I read this, I could just picture the customer as one of those Harry Enfield characters (Only Me)

Working with sparkies who think experience is everything; missing the point that you want both skill and experience. If you have done something wrong for 15 years, you just got really good at doing it wrong!

eg A spark who doesn't do the cable calc for a factory install, and gets it wrong. Then when I explain why it is not compliant and suggest how to fix it (change breaker as Zs was out). I get a -------ing from him, his approach is to change the Zs on the test form. His line was "This is how experienced electricians do it"
He even made ME sign it off. So I did, with his name.

We had an insurance spot check a few months later, oh how I laughed when it was picked up!

I should probably get over that, but really "£$%!ed me off.

got called to a rental property whose landlord said that some of the downstairs lights aren't working. got round there and asked lots of questions, any DIY or other trades been in etc no nothing they said. having investigated the lighting ring found that the loop link was missing between 2 of the points, wtf??? landlord said customer hasn't paid rent for 2 months cos no lights.

guess people will do anything to get out of paying.

Reply to Pet hates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back