Currently reading:
Reverse Energy Detected - usage gone up 71% !!

Discuss Reverse Energy Detected - usage gone up 71% !! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

EDF's green team got EON to install a Landis+Gyr Single Rate Watt Hour Meter.... in an agreed couple of weeks. Magic service. Looks like it is working as we are using 27% less from the mains in the 2 months we've had Solar PV.
Hoping to be a lot better than that over a full year.
Not sure if the meter actually flashes for each Whr exported but we are certainly not being charged for exporting anymore! :shades_smile:

We also see a message, "r.Ed.", on the Unit alternating with the reading. Not sure what this means!

On my EON meter it flashes red to say i am drawing power, and stays solid red when im sending it back. Not too sure if others meters are like that, but i can see when im sending it back down the grid.

On my EON meter it flashes red to say i am drawing power, and stays solid red when im sending it back. Not too sure if others meters are like that, but i can see when im sending it back down the grid.

My meter is the same but, but when I have a solid red LED it also flash's R.E.D but the figures do not rise so I assume the meter is not adding anything when we are exporting.

my meter is a dual tariff meter, night/day. It flashes all of the time, never goes solid red. I do have red in small letters on the screen above the total unit reading, I turned everything off yesterday for 2 hours, the PV Generation meter went up 1.4 units and my EDF Meter stayed the same so I guess that proves that even though my LED is flashing it is not adding to my bill.
There is nothing on my meter to say about export, I tried to download some info on the meter and ther is nothing available !!!

Although it would be good practice for installers to advise customers to contact their supplier if a meter runs backwards, suppliers do have an obligation to check after an installation has been notified.

According to the Balance and settlement code (BSC) overview of micro generation, a copy of which can be downloaded from the link below.

http://www.renewable-energy-resource.net/support-files/introvone.pdf

Page 3 paragraph 2 states

The Supplier responsible for the Import Meter is obliged to check the existing Import Meter does not run backwards at times of surplus. A 'backstop' or an electronic meter will prevent the meter from running backwards.

The full BSC documents says

. When informed of the installation of microgeneration, the LDSO should inform the Import Supplier that the respective site is capable of microgeneration; and

. The Import Supplier and Meter Operator will investigate whether the relevant Meter is fitted with a backstop and where applicable replace the Meter with one that is fitted with a backstop.

As a footnote, customer agreements and terms will probably put the onus on the customer to notify the supplier.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDF's green team got EON to install a Landis+Gyr Single Rate Watt Hour Meter....

We also see a message, "r.Ed.", on the Unit alternating with the reading. Not sure what this means!

Ive had a 2.5kWp system live for a week now and the first few days were fine, then suddenly on day 4 we get the rEd message and since then the import meter has been climbing at roughly the same rate as the generation meter (slightly less) even with almost everything in the house powered down.
Red LED stays lit solid (as it does at night on the generation meter when the system has shut down and the inverter is on standby) but the units are clocking up:cry_smile:
Phoned Scottish Power today to query it to be told (and I jest ye not) that the RED means that the meter is sending a reading down the electricity mains cable to Scottish Power.
DSC03596.JPG
Hmmm

I think I'll phone them back on Monday and try and speak to the Micro Generation team.

Odd though that all was fine for a few days then suddenly its like some anti tamper system has kicked in.

Hi,

I had a 4kw system installed on the 16th November. Since then we have generated about 130kwh which seems a bit low to me but saying that, the weather has been pretty awful and my system faces SW so is not getting the best of what sun we have.

I give my electricity readings to British Gas each month and was staggered to see that my usage for the period 21/11 to 22/12 had gone UP 71% on the previous month. I was expecting our usage to drop after the installation especially as we have made a concerted effort to use the washing machine and dishwasher during daylight hours. I have noticed on our electricity meter the letters r.e.d which I understand means reverse energy detected. I have spoken to the installer who have advised me to contact BG as the meter appears to be recording the energy we have exported back to the grid. I have emailed BG and will wait to see what sort (if any) reply I get but I would like other people’s opinions or comments if they have come across the same issue and if so how was it rectified ?

I am mortified that I am now creating my own electricity and exporting it back to the grid but being charged for it 

Many thanks

did this get resolves ? I think I may have the same problem. I have had solar panels for about 18 months and all fine. My electricity compnay then fitten a digital import meter and my electricity useage has increased.

Next time you have a bit of sunshine, switch off everything apart from the solar PV system. Monitor is for as long as you can and see if the meter rises. Easiest way to check.

Reply to Reverse Energy Detected - usage gone up 71% !! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back