Discuss Reverse Energy Detected - usage gone up 71% !! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

flotmangooner

Hi,

I had a 4kw system installed on the 16th November. Since then we have generated about 130kwh which seems a bit low to me but saying that, the weather has been pretty awful and my system faces SW so is not getting the best of what sun we have.

I give my electricity readings to British Gas each month and was staggered to see that my usage for the period 21/11 to 22/12 had gone UP 71% on the previous month. I was expecting our usage to drop after the installation especially as we have made a concerted effort to use the washing machine and dishwasher during daylight hours. I have noticed on our electricity meter the letters r.e.d which I understand means reverse energy detected. I have spoken to the installer who have advised me to contact BG as the meter appears to be recording the energy we have exported back to the grid. I have emailed BG and will wait to see what sort (if any) reply I get but I would like other people’s opinions or comments if they have come across the same issue and if so how was it rectified ?

I am mortified that I am now creating my own electricity and exporting it back to the grid but being charged for it 

Many thanks

We have had a few infrequent issues regarding meters; going up/going down etc... obviously the UK's housing market spans a vast timeline and so do the meters contained in them- it really is a case of turning on the PV system and monitoring the meter on the off chance you have issues.

Besides this the meter is not something that can be altered or interfered with by anyone but a qualified person, more than likely someone from british gas or an approved contractor. Basically British Gas should be replacing your meter free of charge and this will more than likely be the outcome- there is no other sensible resolution, they could never expect you to pay for energy you aren't using.

There are some modern meter models (Siemens is one) that, if so configured, will add any export detected to the import reading. This is an option that is designed-in to the meter as an anti-fraud measure. Your supplier should know this and arrange to change the meter or, at least, get it reconfigured.

This is a good post,
My old man swears his electricity bills have gone up since having his PV install done back in june. ill have to take a look at the meter on a bright day!

Meters aside, generating 130kW since 16 Nov is fine.

Have a look on pvoutput.org (you can filter what you look at, ie just UK systems), this will give you a good idea of what people are getting; at the end of the day, if it's sunny the kW's clock up, if it's dull they just tick over very slowly.

Mine was 157kw for the same period (3.92kw system) - best sunny day = nearly 9.3kW, worst day = 0.2kW.
Am between S and SE.

Hi Guys,

I am in contact with British Gas (my electricity and FIT supplier) - i will let you know what they say.

Will check my meter tonight but almost certain it is NOT a Siemans.

Wonder how many people are out there who have had a PV array installed with a similar problem that they are unaware of ?

Reply to Reverse Energy Detected - usage gone up 71% !! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net