Search the forum,

Discuss Sharp NU245 Landscape!!! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

saint

-
Reaction score
I was using these to price a job today. I noticed the installation manual states they should not be installed on their side ie landscape.
Is this common with most manufactures? Most of them dont say in their installation manuals if you can or cant install landscape?
i have seen plenty of modules installed landscape so are the manufactures instructions being ignored?

Most landscape installs use the 'cruciform' method (due to the way that British domestic roofs are generally built). This means that you install your brackets as normal but then install a sub frame over the top of it (at 90 degrees to the main frame, thus installing the panels along the long edges) in which to install your landscape panels. It's more expensive to do it this way and we avoid it if possible.

Having said that, maximising the roof space of your customer can possibly win you the job so it's always worth considering!

Last edited by a moderator:
from the installation manual...
"Do not install the PV module horizontally. It may cause dirt or white efflorescence (glass disease) due to water"
What? why? how?

Agree with Biggssolar crossrail is usually the best way although we did a 10kw with sharp 235's recently and did it with out using crossrails as the rafters were spaced, perfectly suiting the clamping positions of the modules ,however this way there was the issue of earthing the array as it was on a TL so had to bond between every vertical rail ,which although did'nt take long was obviously extra work, so in future I think we will just crossrail as standard .
I have heard some suppliers say that you have to crossrail but we did our research and of course its just a reccommended method for landscape/ uneven roofs.

from the installation manual...
"Do not install the PV module horizontally. It may cause dirt or white efflorescence (glass disease) due to water"
What? why? how?

From the data sheet :

"Use of tempered white glass, EVA plastic, and weather protection
film, as well as a silver anodised aluminium frame with drainage​
holes for long-term use."

I'm guessing if not mounted portrait with holes at the bottom there is a risk of moisture entering and being trapped within th epanel?

I spoke to one of sharps technical team and all he said was as long as there is enough tilt to help with keeping them clean and that they are clamped correctly it is unlikely to cause a problem .
He said they a had numerous returns and the main cause was clamping along the short sides of the modules
although I have seen something which suggested landscape could require more cleaning as there is a larger build up of dirt along the long sides of the frame

We have fitted the Sharp NU180 and NU185 in landscape. The rails were vertical rather than horizontal and so panels were clamped to the long side of the panel. On the first installation and with the Sharp fact sheet in hand I had the same sinking feeling!

So ringing the supplier and finally Sharp I was told it was fine to do this. The biggest issue was distances of bracket on rafters and still meeting the panel requirements.

I agree with Biggsolar, cruciform is better but more costly.

Reply to Sharp NU245 Landscape!!! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net