Currently reading:
site inductions

Discuss site inductions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bigbaddave

Been on a job now for some time, pretty much finished just few spotlights to fit in the main office. Gaffa turns up and says I ain't got you down as having induction. Dave will be back at 1:40 he will do it then... Really I've been on site for weeks and now your saying I need an induction

Used to do work for a large gas company with depots all over country. Think we worked at 16 sites and had to do 16 inductions following the exact same script and same DVD. The only deviation was where the bogs were on each site. I could have given the induction myself i knew the script that well!!!

only induction i ever attended that wasn't just a talk on site rules, was down the salt mine. 2 hours of instruction on how to use the breathing apparatus, follow escape routes , fire drill etc.

I had a mate who worked on heathrow airport, Had to have an induction for each section he went through so for one job that was 4x inductions just to change a hand dryer

Now that is just plain daft!
It would've been quicker & cheaper just to have someone accompany him.

In my Service 'Engineer' days, I had to have site inductions everywhere, just grin and bare them.

I worked on the tyne tunnel 2, and that induction was crazy, they seemed more interested in talking about the budget and each phase of the job than and site rules / safety, 4 hours long it was.

Started on a Bailey's site once, Bomer & Kirkland were involved to (as they always bloody are) had an induction in one room for B&K then had to go into the room next door for a Baileys one. Delivered by the same bloke using the same script. Stupidity at its utmost.

i had been working on a job that has 3 streams (same client and main contractor), one stream high rise and two normal house's. I have had to have 3 seperate induction, 3 seperate id badges, and hand over 3 copies of my public lia, cscs and asbestos awareness, qualifcations and cps registrations. The stupid thing is its at the same office done b y the same person and filed into the same folder. what a waste of time and money.

Inductions are absolutely vital for finding out:
Subsidised canteen facilities.
Smokers area
Which way the traffic goes
How close you can get your vehicle to the job
Do you really need a hot permit to drill a hole
When does the gate get locked and how do you get out.
When do all the lorries arrive, so you can avoid the queues to sign oin

Otherwise a vid of the bleeding obvious

IMO DVDs have no place in a site induction - they should be for site specific stuff like site security, welfare facilities, location of muster point etc. Anything generic enough to warrant producing a DVD can be done any time, anywhere, such as when you do your ECS/CSCS test. Not much point having a card if at every site you get told to go outside if there's a fire and tell a grown-up if there's something you're unsure of.

Mate of mine was a private building inspector and had been in the trade for 40+ years. He went on a site and the site manager insisted on giving him a full 40 minute induction. As he walked out of the site office he noticed a JCB digger being used as a crane. He went back in and reported a H&S breech to the site manager as well as people working under the JCB load without hard hats. Later he noticed scaffolding being overloaded with heavy blocks, when he got back to the office he reported this as well knowing that each breech was at least 20 minutes work for the site manager.

The next site the site manager said to him "you look as if you have been around a bit, do you want the full induction or just the site specific issues?" My mate took the site specific issues and was out in 10 minutes knowing exactly what the main risks on the site were and the site manager could get on with his job.

The obsession with H&S is way over the top and in my view makes things more dangerous because it gets treated as a joke. Another mate had to put on a fall harness with something like a 15 ft drop, he was working 12ft off the floor, the H&S manager thought this was OK as he was seen to wearing the correct gear even though it was worthless and getting in his way.

I am glad I started working for myself before all the jobsworth H&S inspectors started.

I remember coming onto a site and being told how important the induction was, posters all over the place, cards to sign, and carry, registers to complete.

"Just watch this video, yeah sorry the sound isn't working but you will probably pick it up"!

Mate of mine was a private building inspector and had been in the trade for 40+ years. He went on a site and the site manager insisted on giving him a full 40 minute induction. As he walked out of the site office he noticed a JCB digger being used as a crane. He went back in and reported a H&S breech to the site manager as well as people working under the JCB load without hard hats. Later he noticed scaffolding being overloaded with heavy blocks, when he got back to the office he reported this as well knowing that each breech was at least 20 minutes work for the site manager.

The next site the site manager said to him "you look as if you have been around a bit, do you want the full induction or just the site specific issues?" My mate took the site specific issues and was out in 10 minutes knowing exactly what the main risks on the site were and the site manager could get on with his job.

The obsession with H&S is way over the top and in my view makes things more dangerous because it gets treated as a joke. Another mate had to put on a fall harness with something like a 15 ft drop, he was working 12ft off the floor, the H&S manager thought this was OK as he was seen to wearing the correct gear even though it was worthless and getting in his way.

I am glad I started working for myself before all the jobsworth H&S inspectors started.

nah we don't bother with harness we have bloody good lookouts and predetermined call signs when climbing over ahu's, tray,ladder racking etc

Reply to site inductions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back