Search the forum,

Discuss Some (probably) stupid questions about my house rewire in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

This is the very reason why I do not get involved with this type of work first of all Mrs Fletcher did he recommend that you upgrade your fusebox when he was quoting for the work ? no offence to yourself but there are "customers" who think hold on I am being ripped off here I dont think I need a new fuseboard.Also you mention that you were told that the kitchen should be on its own seperate circuit but if you have an old 6 or 8 way (thats fuses or circuit breakers) board then you may not have the spare capacity for the kitchen to have its own circuit although you would have if you got the fuseboard upgraded because first of all you would have got 2 RCD safety breakers and 10 circuit breakers instead of the 6 or 8 you have.

One last thing if you declined to get your fuseboard upgraded then there is not much an electrician can do but connect to the existing circuitry so after all of this could you confirm that you were offered a fuseboard upgrade just to add this would have been the ideal time to get this done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have thought a rewire would have come with a CU change as a matter of course mate. All rewires I've ever quoted for have .

Have you had a certificate arrive yet?

I was under the impression that a BS7671 cert should be handed over on completion and a copy retained by the Electrician then IF the work is notifiable (which yours is obviously) the details are passed on to the Local Authority Building Control via the Part P Competent Persons Scheme that they are a member of.

Have you seen any proof that this Electrician is part P registered? NICEIC Elecsa Napit are just a few that exist.

Also, IF old cabling has been used then this will need to be noted on the Certificate that you receive, If it's not then um, you have them by the short and curlies and I imagine the Scheme provider will stand behind you and tell them to pull their finger out or get the boot.

It's always sad to hear stories like this but I hope that this gets resolved amicably as quickly as possible:thumbsup

I'd have thought a rewire would have come with a CU change as a matter of course mate. All rewires I've ever quoted for have .

Trev I would agree with you but times are hard and some guys no matter how hard they try the customer thinks they know best and some of us can afford to say sorry cannot do this and then the customer says ok then I will get someone who will next please

Have you had a certificate arrive yet?

I was under the impression that a BS7671 cert should be handed over on completion and a copy retained by the Electrician then IF the work is notifiable (which yours is obviously) the details are passed on to the Local Authority Building Control via the Part P Competent Persons Scheme that they are a member of.

Have you seen any proof that this Electrician is part P registered? NICEIC Elecsa Napit are just a few that exist.

Also, IF old cabling has been used then this will need to be noted on the Certificate that you receive, If it's not then um, you have them by the short and curlies and I imagine the Scheme provider will stand behind you and tell them to pull their finger out or get the boot.

It's always sad to hear stories like this but I hope that this gets resolved amicably as quickly as possible:thumbsup

If old wiring has been used then you have only had a "Partial Rewire" which is what should be noted on the certificate:thumbsup

Trev I would agree with you but times are hard and some guys no matter how hard they try the customer thinks they know best and some of us can afford to say sorry cannot do this and then the customer says ok then I will get someone who will next please
Any new circuits are required to comply with current regs which would mean a new CU would be a necessity not an option in my humble opinion.
If I was quoting for a rewire and the customer declined the CU change I'd walk away from it with the offer of when they want the job doing properly feel free to call me.

Reusing the old DB is just like reusing the old sockets

For me a rewire is a fresh install, new cables & accessories throughout, i would not warrent the work done otherwise

What if that DB has faulty RCD/rcbos etc..., things start to trip and i get the finger pointed at me because i rewired the house, ive then got to go out and fault find in my time

No thanks, no new accessories = no rewire

Im also intrigued at what you have been charged for this rewire MrsFletcher and what size house it is, we all have a rough estimate of what a rewire would cost

Also this cooker you talk about, has he fitted a specifc switch for the cooker in the kitchen? maybe one with a red switch on it?

You didn't get this so call Spark from one of these site were you put the job up and they all quote silly low prices, did you ?:6:
If that job is a full rewire, I'll eat my hat, and If the guy was a real spark, i'll eat my cowboy boots....

You didn't get this so call Spark from one of these site were you put the job up and they all quote silly low prices, did you ?:6:
If that job is a full rewire, I'll eat my hat, and If the guy was a real spark, i'll eat my cowboy boots....
Well apparently the guy is a registered spark according to Mrs F, I suspect you're right though SJ.
It really boils my wee when people get stuffed. Bloody cowboys

theres always 2 sides to a story,we are only getting 1 here,no one knows the ins and outs of what the work was supposed to be,but i wouldnt be happy if a customer was taking my work apart then going on the net,remember this all started out from mr f's work mate who knows everything about electrics,so dont shoot the spark just yet...domestics eh dont you just love em..:ack2:

I once had occasion to look at a re-wire conducted on behalf of a Local Authority (in 1994 I believe).
All new split load CU, all new cheap and nasty accessories replacing MK ones, and all new lamp holders.
Not one new piece of cable to be seen anywhere.

Hi all, sorry I have been busy with the old man recovering from spinal surgery and the children demanding all my time that why I am on at 11:00pm :(

Right, I live in a 3 bed detached, I was Quoted £3500 for a full rewire, no mention of leaving in any old wires as my husband told him, we are really worried about the lights upstairs that, wait for it, turn themselves on and off whenever they feel like it :6:(as it happens they dont do that anymore, so he fixed that) , we made sure he knew we wanted every wire out and replaced with new, included all switches, plugs etc...

The cooker has been spured of an existing plug, in fact we have found out he has spured off; the cooker, the lean to plugs and the lean to light as well as the rear security light all from one plug in the kitchen, thats what the grey wires are next to the pipes in the rather bad photo goto lol

The electrician came with the builder who was given to us by our neighbour and he is as shocked as we are about the turnout. The builder is saying this s the first time he has used this spark and wont be using him again, however the plumbing contractor tells us its his (the builders) son? All the building work (well almost all) is good just the odd thing like a big hole in the kitchen ceiling and the new shower leaks whenever its used lol

The guy is NICEIC as we have had the cert and its says part rewire but has no mention of old wiring? the NEW CU has no stickers on it other than what each switch does.

We did agree to move furniture for him and this we did, in fact he commented to me that we didnt need to do as much as we did as he just used the cellar to run the downstairs plugs and the upstairs was almost empty anyway? That is why we dont understand what he said to us?

Update

We have today come to an agreement as I offered him to attend my property with either a 3rd party electrician and or a rep from the NICEIC, he told me to err myself and if I was that bothered about his work I should just forget it! He has 2.5k of our money of which I dont think he deserves or at least another local electrician thinks he dosent as he has said he wants to pull it all out and start again? Im not sure its that bad but then what do I know?

We dont know what to do now, we have all had enough, its been going on for 2 months now and we just want o get the house decorated in time for Christmas and forget all about it, I think a new spark and a new builder to finish of the mess in the kitchen and bathroom and just put it down to bad luck :(

Out of interest, how much would you of charged?

And, of course, thank you ALL for your comments even the ones that dont believe me hehehehehe

The guy is NICEIC as we have had the cert and its says part rewire but has no mention of old wiring? the NEW CU has no stickers on it other than what each switch does.

Just a quickie..

What colour was the cert he gave you? Because if it's green, it means he's not actually with the NICEIC. Anyone and their uncle can buy green NICEIC certs :dead:

I would complain to the NIC as his work does not comply with current regs. There should be stickers for circuit details, RCD test, next inspection and 2 different wiring colours.

Pictures of the certificate,without his details, could be very informative

It may shed more light on the standard of the builders son ( we will leave the term electrician open for now) and the installation than you could appreciate

The info provided so far and if correct appears disturbing

what a shoddy mess...!! 3.5k is about a good price for a basic rewire! and i mean a full rewire of all circuits!!

complain to the NIC mrs fletcher!!

Reply to Some (probably) stupid questions about my house rewire in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock