Tails or SWA?

Discuss Tails or SWA? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
My customers meter is being moved. The distance to the consumer unit will be approx 10m. I'll be installing a metal switched fuse in the meter. I cannot run any cables up the outside as it is having some kind of wooden finish and the customer does not want anything else on show.

I can only see 2 other choices. Run it up the cavity of the brick wall, or bring it through into the house and run it up a chase in the inner wall. I have never routed cables in the cavity before but would this be ok if it was a) SWA b) tails in steel conduit?

Also, the same question applies to bringing the cable(s) into the house and up a chase in the inner wall (it may be dot and dab). Would it be ok if the tails were in steel conduit?

I realise both options meet the regulations (522.6.204) (i.e. SWA or tails in steel conduit), but I have always brought it up the outside of the house before and just wanted get some opinions.

An sds drill bit 5.5mm will go through that no bother as I’ve done it to test how strong it was when fixed to the wall, it’s generally not even 3 mm thick which given is only a recommendation that I’ve read but I don’t like it for mechanical protection personally, unslotted unistrut is a better choice tho awkward to install for this particular application.

An sds drill bit 5.5mm will go through that no bother as I’ve done it to test how strong it was when fixed to the wall, it’s generally not even 3 mm thick which given is only a recommendation that I’ve read but I don’t like it for mechanical protection personally, unslotted unistrut is a better choice tho awkward to install for this particular application.
The cover that we get supplied is thicker than 3mm. I still wouldn't have the tails/sub-main not in a zone formed by a switch/socket etc.

We have had it from Midshires Electrical Wholesalers in Northampton, but I think edmundsons can get it
33 Dawley Trading Estate,
Stallings Lane, Kingswinford,
West Midlands DY6 7AP

Tel: 01384 401700 / 401600
Fax: 01384 292785
Email: [email protected]

I've never used it, just remember seeing it recommended before on here and copied the link.
Thanks to you both.
You can't buy it from Trident Sections but they do supply it to Edmunsons.
I'm a bit unsure of it's abilities though. The video shows it protecting from drilling with a standard drill, however you all seem to be mentioning 3mm thickness. The TP3 (product code for the steel tail protection) shown in the video is 1.5mm thick, still pretty thick compared to the standard 0.4mm metal capping, but a long way off 3mm.
Is this classed as mechanical protection? In fact what is the criteria for something to be classed as mechanical protection?

Thanks to you both.
You can't buy it from Trident Sections but they do supply it to Edmunsons.
I'm a bit unsure of it's abilities though. The video shows it protecting from drilling with a standard drill, however you all seem to be mentioning 3mm thickness. The TP3 (product code for the steel tail protection) shown in the video is 1.5mm thick, still pretty thick compared to the standard 0.4mm metal capping, but a long way off 3mm.
Is this classed as mechanical protection? In fact what is the criteria for something to be classed as mechanical protection?

It's not specified exactly what classes as mechanical protection because different locations will require different levels of protection.
It's up to us to use knowledge, experience and professional judgement to make a decision as to what is required.

To start with is it reasonably obvious that there will be cables there?

Reply to Tails or SWA? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock