Currently reading:
Tell us about your faults!

Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kung

Hi ALL
Just thought id put this one up for all those faults we find.
heres one to kick it off !
Domestic RCD tripped and wouldnt reset cause was a blown low energy light bulb.:D
There you go now for yours !

Kewtech KEW2434 Digital AC 100A Leakage Current clamp 28mm (000631) = £169.00
from ISSWWW, is the one i use, its good for 100A as well.

Anyway had a cracker today, B32 "sockets" tripped wont reset. Got there and its one of 3 "sockets" B32 MCB, managed to determine it was at least Kitchen and utility, disconnected the lot but still not resetting. Client things the garage may be also on the ring but cannot get in as its electric door and not responding to the remote fob. Managed to get half my body through a small window and switch off two plugs plugged into a double socket.
Went for another reset thinking "no such luck" and it held, yippee
Garage door opened and i could get inside and............ found a 3KW convector heater plugged into an extension reel (reel was fully wound in).
Well pulled out the cable from the reel and after about half way gave up. Pulled the reel apart and found the inner half of the cable was a solid mass of plastic.
Reel rating fully wound in 750W, fully unwound 2300W, convector heater on max setting at 3000W . Nice, lucky no fie on this one and 10A fuse in the plug head still happy.....
Think reels should be banned, GP just dont understand how they MUST be used despite a small warning label on them

Are you bonkers or what?? If anything, it should be all the half wits that should be banned from buying them!!
went to a place this one time...old lady on her death bed..
so, takes a look round...there were loads of daisy chained extension leads all over the place feeding heaters...they were all coming off 2 points....lol..
there was one that was being `back fed`...lol..disconnected that one for em straight away.....it`d been like that for ages ant they were just totally oblivious to the danger...
this is how it is with the general public...they simply dont get it....

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you bonkers or what?? If anything, it should be all the half wits that should be banned from buying them!!

Dont think so but who knows, fed up coming across them used incorrectly, must have removed a dozen in the last few years on PAT alone. They look so perfect all nice and neat and so attactive to the un-initiated. Ban them, ban them alll

One today:
Some one moved a stat on a house just been re-wired. After the move it does not work and goes bang.
How many sparks to find the fault 1 but 3 come before and see no problem.
Problem:
Cable in back box clearly goes up the wall so it make sense to drill a fixing in to the cable to fix the stat to the wall.

Had a good one last week. "Smoke Alarms wont stop beeping" - MCB switched off, batteries out - Still Beeping, two of us looking everywhere. After a good hour narrowed it down to the back of a fridge, cleared all of the rubbish out of the cooling fins to find a nice wee battery CO alarm at the bottom, merrily beeping away.

Fresh idea for Gas meter bonding 47 princess gardens 021.jpg

Heheh, I 'dropped the bomb' in a customers house during the week (after Wednesday night's curry club), then they unexpectedly returned at lunchtime. My, it ponged...

This was the same place where in the loft I found a bulge in the fibreglass insulation which covered a melted plastic flower pot on top of an old spotlight. That did its job, then...

Had a good un the other day. Tracing a fault on a socket ring, we were belling each leg out, line to cpc, to determine which cable went where. One piece only had continuity when my mate bounced up and down on the floor a metre away from the socket. Cable had been trapped between the floor board and a hot pipe.
2013-04-22 10.37.23.jpg

After a few more faults were found and fixed, I connected into the new CU I had fitted after refusing to connect into this lash-up of a board that was in originally.

2013-04-22 08.57.07.jpg2013-04-22 08.57.17.jpg

It did have a cover, but all the breakers were held in by the busbar connection alone. They were just flapping about with no way to hold them in apart from the cover.
In the second picture you can see the busbar hacked to fit into the terminal, and the piece of degraded plastic strip, no more than 0.5mm thick that separated the neutral bar from touching the busbar.

And it was a professional install by a large local contractor. Its like the guy pulled the odds and ends from the bottom of his box and threw them in, closed the lid and hoped for the best. This was only done 3 years ago, uncertified and blatantly dangerous......Still got to find where the 6mm cooker is joined to the 2.5!!!

Only a minor one, testing a small proteus cu. the RCD wasn't tripping on the tests, so checked the test button on the front. Out of some form of instinct I opted to use my flat screwdriver as opposed to my finger. And boy was I glad when instead of tripping like it should, it went bang and filled the air with putrid smoke! Ugh! It'd been tested a year before and couldn't have been older than 3 years!

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock