Currently reading:
Unreasonably high invoice bill from an electrician

Discuss Unreasonably high invoice bill from an electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, I am Alex and I'm new here.

I am posting this to ask for advice with how I should approach this situation.

We called in an electrician, and as confirmed in writing by messages, the original request was to change the socket covers and change lightbulbs through the flat (1 bedroom flat). After completing the job, the electrician sends us an invoice which lists the labour and material costs, and a rough breakdown of the works done. The final bill is OVER £2,000 (almost all of it labour) and lists 30 hours of work. On top of the requested works, it also details a lot of other works, which were not requested nor authorised by us, including various tests and other changes. To make the situation more difficult, we were away during this time as the flat was under renovation and could not confirm what works exactly have been at the time.

Given this extremely unreasonable bill, what is the best way to approach the situation?

Any help would be appreciated, and thank you for your advice.

Aside from what we ACTUALLY asked him to do, he apparently "investigated" a bunch of things, cancelled supplies and sockets, tried and failed to install LEDs, checked lights and some circuits, Disconnected the supply cable going to Transformers 12V output, installed a new smoke alarm and etc (a few other things

without telling us apparently 3 more people were involved and "helped
Now, he has contracted to other party's
So was it a mangerment company that worked on your behalf.

4 days work seems excessive for the work listed,
£200 material and 30 hours at £60 (guessing here)

It is possible that when changing sockets or lights, a wiring fault was found that needed to be located and repaired or if there are a lot of downlights maybe some of the drivers needed changing.

I would start with a simple email.

Thanks for your invoice,
I am not happy with the invoice amount, the work we asked to be done was

1. change all socket faces to new crabtree white.
2. change all lamps and ensure they are working

It seems the job has taken a lot longer than estimated and i don't understand why.

I did ask for a written quote before the work started but you were unwilling to do so.
when we discussed the works required, i was led to believe that this would be a simple job that wouldn't take too long.

could you please provide me with a complete list of works done and if it was above and beyond the work requested, then could you explain why it was essential to be done without any consultation with myself.

What was your contract with him & what was your jobs in regarding the work,
E. G. stick some lights in.
We can only go by hear say.
We did not have a contract, I met him through a friend of mine, we talked over the job verbally when he visited the flat and I later follows up by message with the scope of the works, which he confirmed. Besides that there was no contract or other documents signed.

It is possible that when changing sockets or lights, a wiring fault was found that needed to be located and repaired or if there are a lot of downlights maybe some of the drivers needed changing.

Thanks for your invoice,

2. change all lamps and ensure they are working

It seems the job has taken a lot longer than estimated and i don't understand why.

I did ask for a written quote before the work started but you were unwilling to do so.
when we discussed the works required, i was led to believe that this would be a simple job that wouldn't take too long.

could you please provide me with a complete list of works done and if it was above and beyond the work requested, then could you explain why it was essential to be done without any consultation with myself.
To be honest I agree it is possible that there were problems with the wiring, which means further work was needed. However I believe in those cases it is reasonable for him to contact us about it and say that additional work is needed, as opposed to messing with the wiring without our permission or knowledge.

Can I ask something from everyone, given the additional works he claims to have completed without our knowledge or consent (like removing wiring and changing smoke alarms) without providing full details, and involving other people in our flat without our knowledge, is this even legal? Of course I do not want to escalate this to court, however I would also like to know if that is something the electrician should even be worried about, assuming he refuses to be reasonable.

The electrician is not solo, from what I understand he works for a company which is NICEIC Approved. We contacted him directly, and I do not know where the other 3 people came from, nor that there was anyone else involved until the invoice.
This a case where you got spark that works for a company, so to be honest.
You are employing him direct.
So the argument is tell him to reduce your Invoice or if he takes you to court
The he better to explain to a judge if he is employed to a company or other.
Ask him one simple question vat or no vat,and wait.
I do litigation on my part time job.

This a case where you got spark that works for a company, so to be honest.
You are employing him direct.
So the argument is tell him to reduce your Invoice or if he takes you to court
The he better to explain to a judge if he is employed to a company or other.
Ask him one simple question vat or no vat,and wait.
I do litigation on my part time job.
He did include +20% VAT to the bill, the invoice has the company name and account details.

I will only work 2 ways

1. formal quotation detailing what work to be done with a (fixed price) or (per hour labour cost and estimated time).
(all new customers will come in this bracket)

2. friendly chat with customer detailing what needs doing, point out the possible pit falls that may be encountered and rough costs if the worst happens.

I do feel sorry for both domestic sparks and there customers as poor communication and other issues can quickly sour what was originally a simple business deal.

hopefully you have not got to a point where the communications are failing, so you need to press on and discover what the issues are on each side of the table and come to an arrangement that you are both comfortable with.
it is likely to be somewhere in the middle of 10 and 30 hours of labour.

keep it to facts and don't let emotions get in the way of coming to an arrangement.

I will only work 2 ways

1. formal quotation detailing what work to be done with a (fixed price) or (per hour labour cost and estimated time).
(all new customers will come in this bracket)

2. friendly chat with customer detailing what needs doing, point out the possible pit falls that may be encountered and rough costs if the worst happens.

I do feel sorry for both domestic sparks and there customers as poor communication and other issues can quickly sour what was originally a simple business deal.

hopefully you have not got to a point where the communications are failing, so you need to press on and discover what the issues are on each side of the table and come to an arrangement that you are both comfortable with.
it is likely to be somewhere in the middle of 10 and 30 hours of labour.

keep it to facts and don't let emotions get in the way of coming to an arrangement.
Thank you for the advise James. To be honest considering we originally asked him to only do a small job, change lights and socket covers, even 10 hours seems like is a lot, however I am definitely not an expert here.

Thank you for the advise James. To be honest considering we originally asked him to only do a small job, change lights and socket covers, even 10 hours seems like is a lot, however I am definitely not an expert here.
It is a bit of a guess and not to be taken literally, just take the spirit of the post and adjust it to suit your particular issues.

I will say however that it can take 30 min to change a single downlight if things don't go well or you encounter a problem.

I would assume it would take me 20 min to change a socket, downlight, light pendant, light switch, fused spur etc. if I was quoting a job.

Thanks for your invoice,

"change all lamps and ensure they are working"

The issue could be this .If THIS was correct then its almost "permission" to carry out any works required ?

Reply to Unreasonably high invoice bill from an electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock