Search the forum,

Discuss unusual foreign electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ok. thanks for the advice guys. much appreciated. i'll do the earthing as Marvo suggests. engineer54, perhaps you need to go find an anger management class somewhere m8, i really didn't appreciate your tone. and FYI 'substantiating to us, what these locals do...' is an utterly meaningless phrase. if your gonna use the big words, i suggest you learn how first. to everyone else who gave non-judgemental, fury free advice, my thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the advice given is solid and in the interest of safety but I think this thread has run its useful course.

If there's anything else you'd like assistance with you're welcome to start a new thread.

ok. thanks for the advice guys. much appreciated. i'll do the earthing as Marvo suggests. engineer54, perhaps you need to go find an anger management class somewhere m8, i really didn't appreciate your tone. and FYI 'substantiating to us, what these locals do...' is an utterly meaningless phrase. if your gonna use the big words, i suggest you learn how first. to everyone else who gave non-judgemental, fury free advice, my thanks again.

What ''fury'' are you talking about here?? You have been given good advice by myself and others. You are the one telling us what the locals do, and asking which way to go ...based on how the locals do things. so where is the totally meaningless aspect your talking about??

I speak as i see things, if that upsets you, my apologies....

Think about it, Marvo stated first possible point which i take, as at the origin, eg... at the intake position!!

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what about a lost supply neutral, I think that would still elevate the voltage on the metal work in the premises?

Why not just have a decent rod and not bond the earth and neutral?
What would be wrong with that?

I am assuming that the supply transformer has a rod itself, you know from the start point into the ground, does this supply transformer have no rod?

Is that a stupid question?

Last edited:
Excuse my lack of knowledge but what about a lost supply neutral, I think that would still elevate the voltage on the metal work in the premises?

Why not just have a decent rod and not bond the earth and neutral?
What would be wrong with that?

I am assuming that the supply transformer has a rod itself, you know from the start point into the ground, does this supply transformer have no rod?

Is that a stupid question?

No, not at all a stupid question. I think what Marvo was thinking about, is if the Ra was on the high side to provide a decent enough earth fault protection, earth the neutral at the intake and use as a TNC-S...

As you say, far better to have the TT rod(s) as a stand alone earthing system... just depends what type of ground conditions he will be encountering and how much cash he wants to invest in his installations safety. Too many unknowns here, for example if he has a raft foundation to his property it may be worth his time breaking out some concrete and picking up the re-bar, for a Ufer earth. connecting/linking that to a deepish earth rod could well sort him out as far as giving him a decent earth... lol!!

Who knows what the earthing arrangement is at the local distribution TX

Reply to unusual foreign electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net