Currently reading:
What is happening today with all these COWBOY Electricians?

Discuss What is happening today with all these COWBOY Electricians? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have read several posts on here now in the last half hour and all of which claim to be an electrician and got the very basics wrong or completely cant be bothered to do anything they have to!

These so called scheme providers really need to get off their A*** and start looking at who they are giving a licence to kill to before they kill someone!

right i'm pausing tv and getting the beer out this could be a long thread... right that's me comfy, let it begin :26:

Just about to start reading the posts

Am I
(A) Going to find people looking for confirmation or other opinions and will be pleased to respond if possible
icon14.png

or

(B) Going to find people who may honestly believe they know what they are doing, yet post such stupid questions that my head starts shaking sideways and my mouth starts mumbling obscenities :rolleyes2:

I dont do domestic work so cant really comment but I would assume its narrowed down to these 2 factors:

1) Lack of proper apprenticeships.
2) Short courses in Electrical installation.

Regarding point 1 I see lots of apprenticeships in factories like the one I did but I hardly ever see one for domestic or small commercial positions.

Regarding point 2, I spent around 6 years in and out of college and still have much to learn, How people can be expected to learn a trade in a matter of days or weeks is beyond me.

Personally I don't blame the short courses, they have their purpose...

I do however, blame the providers who give people the impression that they're going to know it all at the end of the course...

I did a "short course" (after a LOT of research to make sure I wasn't ripped off) and was a bit bewildered by how many people thought that after a few weeks that was it and they could do the job.

Before going to the college I spent months reading up on my own about the fundamentals of electrics (everything from ohms law to the internal workings of an RCD) but was amazed at how little of it was actually covered on the domestic installers course. I asked a question about Adiabatic on the last day of the training and asides from the instructors no one had any idea what it was...

My own favourite today has been "Pizza Oven" for those not familiar with it a DI has been tasked with installing one, 3.3kw I think. Once it gets to a certain temperature the RCD trips. He wondered if replacing a 30ma RCD with a 100ma would solve his dilemma

You could always go one step further and replace with a 32A MCB. I think the term MCB sells it somewhat short. If you think about it the 32A MCB will trip if there's 32A of earth leakage so I'm sure you could get away with actually classing it as a 32000mA RCD.

I dont do domestic work so cant really comment but I would assume its narrowed down to these 2 factors:

1) Lack of proper apprenticeships.

Regarding point 1 I see lots of apprenticeships in factories like the one I did but I hardly ever see one for domestic or small commercial positions.

Regarding point 2, I spent around 6 years in and out of college and still have much to learn, How people can be expected to learn a trade in a matter of days or weeks is beyond me.

There are several apprenticeship's available for the Domestic Electrician, but sadly, very few jobs in that sector of the industry. If no one is employing, then no one can do.

Cheers............Howard

I think it's the OP who is the cowboy.

The OP put forward a valid point that has long been the bane of this industry .... the direction of the thread was started by myself amongst others so where does you comment come from..... we all can play nockadoor run but its better to back your opinion with a reason at least ....not saying your right or wrong but who knows if you don't tell us why?

There are several apprenticeship's available for the Domestic Electrician, but sadly, very few jobs in that sector of the industry. If no one is employing, then no one can do.

Cheers............Howard

Thats what I mean, From what I understand most apprentices are now taken on by colleges but dont actually have jobs.
More like the old YT schemes and the college trys to find them positions.

But obviously this is not so easy when people are not recruiting.

I was chatting to some contractors the other day about this and most of them said their companies will not take on apprentices even though they would be in a good position to do so.

Its a shame really.

Why spend money on an apprentice when there are 18 day courses to send someone on, followed by minimum wage "because they're lucky to have a job"?
It's more than a shame, it's a disgrace.
It's no wonder these inexperienced guys just "give it a go" in peoples' homes, and charge what they can get away with. Afterall, there's always a forum to fall back on....
Maybe the people who endorse the quick courses should employ these guys in their own homes.

Tim there was a youtube video publicised here a few weeks back from a training centre. The guy was singing the praises of his 5WWs so I asked him if he would be willing to have one of them working in his house.
Comments were disabled for the video about ten minutes later.

Tim there was a youtube video publicised here a few weeks back from a training centre. The guy was singing the praises of his 5WWs so I asked him if he would be willing to have one of them working in his house.
Comments were disabled for the video about ten minutes later.

I remember that trev. These newly trained guys sound fantastic, I have to say.

Reply to What is happening today with all these COWBOY Electricians? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock