Discuss I'm unsure if I should become an electrician. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm unsure if I should be an electrician or maybe another trade is better.

I have basically completed my first year of a foundation in electrical installation. Basically the course is a bit of a mess. One problem is the tutor has gone ahead and started teaching us 2nd year things, such as intermediate switches etc. And the teaching is not great. There is theory and practical and there is no connection between the two. It is all very disjointed. There are others in the class a bit clueless to what's going on.. not just me, but I'd say I am struggling the most.
I am also autistic so learning for me needs to be clear and organised. This course is not so there's that too.
When doing the exam the tutors were laughing at me kind of in a joking way. I was last to finish but wanted to get everything right, so I don't see a problem with that.. i'd rather have a job done right. I think they just wanted to go home tbh. It is very disheartening when the tutors are not helping at all and just taking the mick when you're doing your exam. Then one tutor teaches you one way and the other tutor is telling you "you don't do it like that, do it this way"

Just a little about me for understanding:
I'd say I like to be very accurate and do a good job.
I really enjoy fixing things and finding problems.
I enjoy doing things with my hands.

I don't want to waste time doing something I am not a good fit for. But also don't want to keep changing my mind on careers as I am now 26. How did you know you were a good fit to be an electrician or was it something you had to work very hard to learn? Any suggestions?

Training will never be organised in an ideal manner for a number of reasons, but mainly due to the fact there's a lot of ground to cover in a limited amount of time. There may also be time constraints on workshop availability, along with people completing practical tasks at greatly differing paces.

Where a lot comes together is in the real world as you begin to see things from a different perspective when putting them together or braking them down to trace faults. In the past the training you are doing was intended to be provided as part of an apprenticeship, whereas now it can often be classroom based. What doesn't tend to be taught on site is theory, so science and maths need to be given more attention in the classroom and this can mean other modules are skimmed through.

Try reading at home or watching videos - I'd especially recommend John Ward's Youtube channel and feel it may deliver the perfect style of presentation for an autistic mind. No one walks out of electrical classes feeling as though everything makes sense and if they doe they're either deluded or dangerous.

Maybe this isn't for you, but I'd recommend some home schooling as above. It'll either inspire you or push you toward another trade.

Training will never be organised in an ideal manner for a number of reasons, but mainly due to the fact there's a lot of ground to cover in a limited amount of time. There may also be time constraints on workshop availability, along with people completing practical tasks at greatly differing paces.

Where a lot comes together is in the real world as you begin to see things from a different perspective when putting them together or braking them down to trace faults. In the past the training you are doing was intended to be provided as part of an apprenticeship, whereas now it can often be classroom based. What doesn't tend to be taught on site is theory, so science and maths need to be given more attention in the classroom and this can mean other modules are skimmed through.

Try reading at home or watching videos - I'd especially recommend John Ward's Youtube channel and feel it may deliver the perfect style of presentation for an autistic mind. No one walks out of electrical classes feeling as though everything makes sense and if they doe they're either deluded or dangerous.

Maybe this isn't for you, but I'd recommend some home schooling as above. It'll either inspire you or push you toward another trade.
Thank you so much for this information. Really appreciate it.

There are lots of other trades to consider that have far less agro than electricians get.

Let me put it this way, I'm building an extension at home, I've done everything, and I mean everything myself so far without any hassle from authority.

I can do this:-

IMG_20240129_121920_064.jpg

And this :-

IMG_20231125_133707_948.jpg

But if I didn't kiss major --- and empty my wallet once a year I couldn't do this :-

sddefault.jpg

Lunacy.

There are lots of other trades to consider that have far less agro than electricians get.

Let me put it this way, I'm building an extension at home, I've done everything, and I mean everything myself so far without any hassle from authority.

I can do this:-

View attachment 113517

And this :-

View attachment 113518

But if I didn't kiss major --- and empty my wallet once a year I couldn't do this :-

View attachment 113519

Lunacy.

That is very cool. Are you a Carpenter? Obviously you have many other skills if you can do that. Yes the more complicated electrics I just can't grasp it fully. Just a bunch of wires that don't make sense. haha

We have a tiling, pluming and this electrical forum. If I could start all over again I'd become an electrician.

I'm a tiler by trade. Plumbers make more and get a lot less messy. Gas fitters make more than plumbers and get even less messy. And electricians generally make a bit more and can get messy but most it fairly clean.

There are always unique people in various areas that are doing things to not be the same locally and make good money doing any trade. But some take risks aiming one way, and end up going a slightly different route to chase rewards. Whether money, or like a tiler who can stand back every day and see what he's done. He might get more reward that way than cash.

Just my 2p.

We have a tiling, pluming and this electrical forum. If I could start all over again I'd become an electrician.

I'm a tiler by trade. Plumbers make more and get a lot less messy. Gas fitters make more than plumbers and get even less messy. And electricians generally make a bit more and can get messy but most it fairly clean.

There are always unique people in various areas that are doing things to not be the same locally and make good money doing any trade. But some take risks aiming one way, and end up going a slightly different route to chase rewards. Whether money, or like a tiler who can stand back every day and see what he's done. He might get more reward that way than cash.

Just my 2p.
Yes thanks a lot for that. Everyone has different goals I guess. Figure out what and why you're doing it is important.

I think I enjoy more of the putting things together of electrical systems, like putting back boxes on and screwing things together.

The technical side is not for me in electrics. So I'm going to try some carpentry out and go from there, as I think it would suit me better.

Last edited by a moderator:
You perhaps want to do a few weekend courses of different types. Worth doing a search see if there is a local independent training centre.

For eg www.ableskills.co.uk (south) or www.tradeteacher.co.uk (midlands). Not sure about whether either do carpentry mind.

Have a look for a woodworking forum. Think there's a Canadian owned one that's Big. I won't link to it as they have a sparky forum too and that's not a clever link but a quick google for woodwork forum should bring a few up.

Good luck mate. You're welcome to keep your forum account open. But gimme a shout if you'd rather not have it if you're moving on like. Dont want annoy you with my emails but they do sometimes have offers and things in.

But lemme know mate. All the best either way.

Reply to I'm unsure if I should become an electrician. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net