Discuss How many electricians does it take to change a lightbulb? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Had a customer message me before I went to do a job asking if I could put a new bulb in a spotlight while I was there, so I picked up some LED GU10's on my way.

When I got there I couldn't budge the spotlight from the ceiling, I poked and prodded the recesses in the fitting and the top came off. It doesn't look like the lamp is replaceable, andl couldn't see how to budge the base.

Has anyone installed these? If so could you tell me what they are/how to get them out/if I can still get them? She's an old lady and still has four of them working, I'd like to sort it out if I can.

Sorry the photos aren't very clear.

Tony.
da38ed9b-0080-47a0-9d79-f6590cb386d0.jpeg
68d18a37-a959-4007-ae77-1877e93b0fd1.jpeg
495bf4e1-718a-4754-a18c-3d637008e251.jpeg

It went back on OK, and yeah normally a spotlight will just slide down, but I was giving this quite a pull but it didn't budge more than about 1/4 inch, I couldn't quite get my fingers in behind it.

It could be an earlier version of the sort of thing below, which seems to go under the name 'brite source' or 'bright source' !
(Or below is the Chinese copy, and the original design is the one in the ceiling!)

CEF do something similar (maybe a later version?), which has an intensity switch as well:

The reflector bit appears to have come away from the body of the rest of the assembly, which is presumably still held firmly in the ceiling by the dreaded spring clips referred to by littlespark.
I think more heave is required, maybe with some tools!

Talking about almost taking a finger off earlier…. And sorry about the tangent.

I’ve had to buy a new ladder clamp for the van. My old one has started to straighten up at the hook end… and needed to be held in place as tightened down…. Well, bloody thing unclipped itself and spring up, taking my finger with it!

Talking about almost taking a finger off earlier…. And sorry about the tangent.

I’ve had to buy a new ladder clamp for the van. My old one has started to straighten up at the hook end… and needed to be held in place as tightened down…. Well, bloody thing unclipped itself and spring up, taking my finger with it!
Ouch!

Reply to How many electricians does it take to change a lightbulb? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net