Currently reading:
What's your hourly cash rate? Just had a grumbling customer!

Discuss What's your hourly cash rate? Just had a grumbling customer! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

... I have since found out how to embarass a solicitor and prevent him taking cases to court, it's a pity I avoid doing work for solicitors so I won't have a chance to try it

I am sure there are lots of us now wanting to know this. In the Arms if you want, but do tell, come on UNG, spill the beans!

£25 ph is a fair price for quality workmanship £14 ph cowboy land Leave a good job build a rep hard in present times i know but as u now overheads to cover good luck stick to your guns

Agree sounds like he tried ripping the other sparks off and trying the same stunt with you ! i wouldnt get my slippers off for £14 ! used to do a bit of work for a local firm MR ******** and their phones were ringing all the time with work and they charge £75 call out inc first hr ! so my £29 phr or £200 a day sounds good in berkshire !

i am a newly qualified electrician and i charge 30/h, looks still have some customers, i nerver thought less than 25/h, 25 is only for friends really, 15 really suprised me, sounds like i have been overcharging my customers

Happy Xmas fellas

What's your hourly cash rate?
I've just had a customer grumble on me when I charged him £15 an hour cash, I wouldn't mind but the guy has plenty of money.

I got the job by him seeing my van , I went to look at the job pretty much as soon as I parked up on a Friday at 3pm, I asked him when do you want me start and he said tommorow ad the plasterer wants to board it!
So I missed being with my kids and worked the first fix on Saturday.
I worked late to do the second fix and did some extras for him.
When it comes to invoice time ge tells me that he has had several "electricians" work for him at a max of £12-£14 an hour

My response was that they are not qualified sparks

Sad thing is there is a bit of work there and I now may not get it

Mate, if the thick t*** thinks that that is an unreasonable rate, then give him the shirt off of your back, drive home and collect the missus and kids - or mum and dad if you live with 'em, then drive back and inform said t*** that 'you work for these people, not thin air.' Alternatively, you could always get his old lady to swallow your pride when he ain't around. It don't help much but will make you feel better.

I charge £20 per hour standard time, £30 weekend & 24 hour call out and 2 Biscuits and a cup of tea for OAP's (£9.00). Although I don't do cash jobs, but in all honesty if it is an old person or someone who is obviously not very well off, I usually just take a drink/snack from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, been told by many of my elderly patiants that i go to heaven , i,m glutton for the elderly dont earn any money , one day ill be a millionare, in my dreams. one day ill be elderly. red shoes.jpg

I charge £20 per hour standard time, £30 weekend & 24 hour call out and 2 Biscuits and a cup of tea for OAP's (£9.00). Although I don't do cash jobs, but in all honesty if it is an old person or someone who is obviously not very well off, I usually just take a drink/snack from them.
same here, £40 call=out, after1st hour then £20/hour, elderly and disabled, if local, £10 for a pint and a packet of smokes. one day soon, i'll be old

i am a newly qualified electrician and i charge 30/h, looks still have some customers, i nerver thought less than 25/h, 25 is only for friends really, 15 really suprised me, sounds like i have been overcharging my customers

Good if you can get it, but at least Dick Turpin wore a mask:rolleyes:

Bit steep if newly qualified and just getting to grips with the job. IMHO

Good if you can get it, but at least Dick Turpin wore a mask:rolleyes:

Bit steep if newly qualified and just getting to grips with the job. IMHO

We're trying to get some second hand masks from our local council - specially for the launch of our new £90 an hour domestic non part P approved, scam....SCHEME.

The idea is that we've photo-shopped up some quals - didn't need a five day course, HA!, gotten a name very similar to another already on the Part P register, and we don't need guides, or books, because we just post the difficult ones up here, if we can't talk the punters into a load of work they don't really need - we're going to use the next series of Rogue Traders for our advertising.

We don't need insurance, because we got a great deal on Pay as you go phones - and we figured for the quiet times, we'll go round knocking on doors, offering CU upgrades because we've got some left over from a job down the road, and we don't want to waste them - the guvnor will go spare if we take them back -

And the crowning glory - Our company name, and tag line will be:

4Cash Decorating and Electrical - "We're Electricians, because we say we are".

I reckon, to be honest, we'll do well. It seems to work for others.

We're trying to get some second hand masks from our local council - specially for the launch of our new £90 an hour domestic non part P approved, scam....SCHEME.

The idea is that we've photo-shopped up some quals - didn't need a five day course, HA!, gotten a name very similar to another already on the Part P register, and we don't need guides, or books, because we just post the difficult ones up here, if we can't talk the punters into a load of work they don't really need - we're going to use the next series of Rogue Traders for our advertising.

We don't need insurance, because we got a great deal on Pay as you go phones - and we figured for the quiet times, we'll go round knocking on doors, offering CU upgrades because we've got some left over from a job down the road, and we don't want to waste them - the guvnor will go spare if we take them back -

And the crowning glory - Our company name, and tag line will be:

4Cash Decorating and Electrical - "We're Electricians, because we say we are".

I reckon, to be honest, we'll do well. It seems to work for others.
i've got several od wylex 3036 fused boards i was going to strip for tat, but now i see there is a market for them, refurbished with nails in the fuse carriers ( for plumber fitted showers and DIY light fitters ) . just got to scrape the old plaster and paint off, supply a roll of tape as there are no covers over the fuses. bargain at £30 a pop.

i've got several od wylex 3036 fused boards i was going to strip for tat, but now i see there is a market for them, refurbished with nails in the fuse carriers ( for plumber fitted showers and DIY light fitters ) . just got to scrape the old plaster and paint off, supply a roll of tape as there are no covers over the fuses. bargain at £30 a pop.

£30 seems reasonable - that's per fuse way, right?

Make the tape an optional upgrade, and offer a choice of nail - a cheap one that'll go really quick when the rust hits it, or an "upgraded" nail that'll never blow, no matter how much load it handles. An extra tenner a nail for that.

Maybe it's just the old cynic coming out in me - but I swear some folks really do try to run a business that way.

and here was me calculating load and de-rating factors

I agree with Accordfire, the guy's a bully! You get them all the time "oh I can get it done for blah blah" My answer is always: Well you get it done then mate!
I was talking to a brickie a few weeks ago, who was working for peanuts to get the work. He was moaning his a*** off. My answer to him was: "mate I'd rather shove yogurt pots on a conveyor at muller than de value myself and my profession" It's a damn sight harder to pull back than it is to give it away!

View attachment 3148QUOTE=accordfire;200432]Too much work mate. Just fit a bigger nail to be sure.[/QUOTE]

Like this one !!!! just got a tripping rcd to sort out thats bugging me at the moment might need to sell it for repairs/spares !

Oh telectrix - you're oh so witty, you make me blush....

or should i ship them to poland for a better price

Reply to What's your hourly cash rate? Just had a grumbling customer! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock