Currently reading:
What's your hourly cash rate? Just had a grumbling customer!

Discuss What's your hourly cash rate? Just had a grumbling customer! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

£30/hr min of 2 hrs. Domestic rate.
£35-40 commercial/industrial all plus VAT.
Rural Kent (very rural) more sheep than people here, mind you some pretty sheep and some U-G-L-I people!
Trading Standards/Trust Mark registration helps.

My pricing is £25 an hour. 15% markup on materials plus some fixed pricing eg £25 per socket changed obviously lowering if there is more to do. £25 a downlight supplied and fitted.

The problem I have is knowing what to charge for the likes of a kitchen where I am spending alot of time tracking and it is dirty work. Do youse all charge per point no matter what is involved?

My pricing is £25 an hour. 15% markup on materials plus some fixed pricing eg £25 per socket changed obviously lowering if there is more to do. £25 a downlight supplied and fitted.

The problem I have is knowing what to charge for the likes of a kitchen where I am spending alot of time tracking and it is dirty work. Do youse all charge per point no matter what is involved?

I don't, generally. Charing a fixed price per point is somewhat akin to Fixed Rate Pricing (see the thread on Interesting but American). For us, there's little substitute in visiting the site first, and pricing the work required. We treat time and materials separately for quote purposes - that is, we mark materials up, and use labour rates which are calculated to cover overheads and direct costs.

Yeah it is just the labour rates which I cant seem to quite get right.

Sometimes I overcharge which loss' me the job and other times I undercharge which ends up costing me. Done a job about 4 months ago and priced it so low that when I hit a water pipe by accident and had to pay for the plumber to fix it I made about £20 for a two day job. :(

Yeah it is just the labour rates which I cant seem to quite get right.

Sometimes I overcharge which loss' me the job and other times I undercharge which ends up costing me. Done a job about 4 months ago and priced it so low that when I hit a water pipe by accident and had to pay for the plumber to fix it I made about £20 for a two day job. :(

Well, labour rates should be worked out based on what it actually costs you to provide that labour, at that point, for that job.

In simple terms, all your overheads and direct costs, totalled, then divided by the number of hours you work in a year - usually around 2080.

This gives you a direct cost of labour assuming that you are actually charging every last working hour out. Most of us don't, and can't. After holidays, sickness, and other time off, there's typically around 220 working days in a year. That's around 1760 working hours. Then, most of us, in "one man" terms, actually work an average of 5 chargeable hours a day - the rest we give away one way and another. That means that your overheads/direct costs have to be paid for in as few as 1100 chargeable hours each year.

As an example - assume that rent, rates, cost of van, PC, tools, and so on cost you £10,000 per year. Divide that by 1100 and you get £9.09 per hour.

In other words, you need to earn £9.09 every working hour, just to stand still - and you need to make sure you have 1100 hours of chargeable work in each year too. On top of this, however, you need to pay salaries, taxes, and so on. So assume you pay yourself £20,000 per annum - and divide that by your 1100 hours too. That's another £18.18 per hour on top. So far, £27.27 per hour. Add a margin for taxes, and lower than expected working hours, say 25%. That brings you to around £34.08 per hour with a safe margin on your labour, also covering all your non-chargeable hours.

In this way, you know that your labour rate needs to be between £27 and £35 an hour to cover your costs with a safety margin to suit your working patterns.

Materials, then become effectively the "profit" element of what you make on a job - so can be managed accordingly.

Well, labour rates should be worked out based on what it actually costs you to provide that labour, at that point, for that job.

In simple terms, all your overheads and direct costs, totalled, then divided by the number of hours you work in a year - usually around 2080.

This gives you a direct cost of labour assuming that you are actually charging every last working hour out. Most of us don't, and can't. After holidays, sickness, and other time off, there's typically around 220 working days in a year. That's around 1760 working hours. Then, most of us, in "one man" terms, actually work an average of 5 chargeable hours a day - the rest we give away one way and another. That means that your overheads/direct costs have to be paid for in as few as 1100 chargeable hours each year.

As an example - assume that rent, rates, cost of van, PC, tools, and so on cost you £10,000 per year. Divide that by 1100 and you get £9.09 per hour.

In other words, you need to earn £9.09 every working hour, just to stand still - and you need to make sure you have 1100 hours of chargeable work in each year too. On top of this, however, you need to pay salaries, taxes, and so on. So assume you pay yourself £20,000 per annum - and divide that by your 1100 hours too. That's another £18.18 per hour on top. So far, £27.27 per hour. Add a margin for taxes, and lower than expected working hours, say 25%. That brings you to around £34.08 per hour with a safe margin on your labour, also covering all your non-chargeable hours.

In this way, you know that your labour rate needs to be between £27 and £35 an hour to cover your costs with a safety margin to suit your working patterns.

Materials, then become effectively the "profit" element of what you make on a job - so can be managed accordingly.

Great post mate. Thanks for the info greatly appreciated.

£25 / hour cash, cheque all the same... £35 if hour or less.

Most of my work is done on price, which always works well.

Do quite a lot of kitchens, and always on a price per point... havent stitched myself up yet.

£55 : socket / spur (+£10 for s/steel)
£70 : 32a supply
£38 : recessed downlight
£20 : t4 pelmet light
£65 : rcd/rcbo protection per circuit (+ any underlying faults to be rectified as an extra)

Reply to What's your hourly cash rate? Just had a grumbling customer! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back