Currently reading:
New Zealand Wiring in air condtioning unit in Turkey

Discuss Wiring in air condtioning unit in Turkey in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

IndyJones

Hi all

I want to first off state that I have zero experience when it comes to all things electrical. All I'm looking for here is just some advice. I'm not going to attempt to do anything myself.

I live in Turkey and we have just had a second air conditioning unit installed in our upstairs living room. The unit is a typical wall mounted AC unit and the motor is placed outside on our balcony. The guys who fit the unit were not able to wire it in (they wired all the pipes etc in though). We're looking for an electrician to wire the unit in properly. Living in Turkey for several years has taught me that there are no rules to pretty much anything here and most electricans/plumbers/builders etc. have little clue about what they're doing and create more problems than they solve. When we do eventually find a competent electrician I just want to make sure he's doing it correctly and not doing the typical short-cut job.

The AC unit we have is a Vestel Bioplus-18 model. I can't see to find the instruction manual online so I've taken a picture of the details printed on the side. The wording on the label reads as follows:

Capacity------------------------ Insurance
Voltage------------------------- Water protection
Current
Power --------------------------- Liquid line / gas line
Power
Refrigerant gas
Gas level/amount
Climate class

We have another unit in the downstairs living room that was fitted when the building was constructed so all wires and pipes are in the wall and the motors placed in a separate area of our building. I've spoken to the building management but they have zero clue about anything as well.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could advise me how this AC unit could be wired in. I'm sure it's not just a case of wriring a plug to the end of the cable and plugging it in a wall socket? If it is, our wall sockets are quite far from the unit so could a special type of extension cord be used that's designed for such devices? If not, is there anything specific that I need to purchase to ensure the unit is connected safely and running efficiently.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 46
  • photo - Copy (2).JPG
    549.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited by a moderator:
The unit consumes about 7.5 amps so you will need say a 15 amp rated supply and because the unit has motors you may need a circuit breaker that suits the start currents .

One other point is this is not the only one in the country so go find a couple of others installed and compare them.

Your A/C unit is what is known as a ''Split'' air conditioner. The main power normally goes to the controlling indoor FCU (fan coil unit) and then out to the external condensing unit. The usual solution for domestics in the Middle East, is to just plug them into the nearest 16A socket!! Even in Cyprus, most of the houses and flat's, 10 or more years old, just had them either connected via a 20A DP switch off the ring circuit or plugged into a ring socket. Now day's they run a separate circuit (16/20A) to all A/C units in new builds.

Reply to Wiring in air condtioning unit in Turkey in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock