Discuss Consumer unit extension wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just an observation, but you are aware as a non-spark you're not supposed to be working on a consumer unit ? If something went wrong and traced back to the CU your house insurance company could have an issue with it, let alone buildings control as its notifiable work - Just an observation, I'm surprised no one else has picked up on that in the first post.

Just an observation, but you are aware as a non-spark you're not supposed to be working on a consumer unit ? If something went wrong and traced back to the CU your house insurance company could have an issue with it, let alone buildings control as its notifiable work - Just an observation, I'm surprised no one else has picked up on that in the first post.
Looks like he’s more competent than the one that did it originally. 😳

I'll be able to sign off domestic installs imminently. Seeing the level of workmanship drove me to study the level 3 etc. The consumer unit is now all sorted and the junction box is completely removed, alls the original installer had to do was move the consumer unit down a foot to make the original wiring long enough 🤷🏻‍♂️

With the removal of the unrequired joins/extensions, and with rcbos and an spd introduced alongside properly 'torqued' connections I'm a lot more comfortable with the installation.

Are we going to get into another discussion of what can and cant be done by a homeowner?

If it needs signed off, notified, by a member of CPS... then they wouldn't sell consumer units to joe public in a DIY shed....

Anybody can do the work, then just get a spark to do an EICR on it..... (which would possibly be cheaper to do the work in the first place)

Are we going to get into another discussion of what can and cant be done by a homeowner?

If it needs signed off, notified, by a member of CPS... then they wouldn't sell consumer units to joe public in a DIY shed....

Anybody can do the work, then just get a spark to do an EICR on it..... (which would possibly be cheaper to do the work in the first place)
I was commenting on the statement made by muso31- "I'll be able to sign off domestic installs imminently".

As a self confessed non spark, how is this going to work? As the schemes have minimum requirements for joining up, and the only way for a competent person to sign off their own work is by joining a scheme?

Yes, anyone can purchase and install a consumer unit. They may even do the job better than some sparks. And they may produce the correct certification after doing the required testing. And they can arrange to notify building control before commencing the work and pay the fee (usually in the hundreds of pounds). But that's not the same thing as being able to sign off one's own work, including notification to building control.

Just an observation, but you are aware as a non-spark you're not supposed to be working on a consumer unit ?
Says who ? He's not replacing the CU, and he's not adding a new circuit. So no notifiable work involved (in England). Of course, the scams would prefer people to think otherwise for the benefit of themselves.
If something went wrong and traced back to the CU your house insurance company could have an issue with it
Possibly, unlikely though.
let alone buildings control as its notifiable work
As noted, not notifiable.
Just an observation, I'm surprised no one else has picked up on that in the first post.
Perhaps because we don't see a problem - other than with the "poor" work that's being put right.

Don't see why people can't fit their own, it all depends on how critical you want to be with the paperwork. I may be wrong but its not illegal to not have something like this signed off with a buildings notice, from what I can see it only has to comply with the latest building regulations. So as long as it is fitted according to the latest regs there is nothing anyone can do about it.

There must be thousands of fully built extensions around the country that have never had a completion certificate issued by the local council but they are all still standing, so for half a century or more now without any sort of comeback.

It's rough but, provided connectors are able to handle the rated current of each outgoing circuit, there's no real issue on that front.

Cables should indeed be restrained and IP rating of enclosures maintained. The main issue, as you've highlighted, is cable sheaths and exposed insulation entering through a cut metal edge. There are a number of ways this could be resolved and glanding individual cables is one of them. To make the best of what you have, I'd probably replace the 2 gang surface box with a small adaptable box and run a short length of 2x2" PVC trunking between it and the board, which would provide space to place some sort of gromment over that cable entry.

I'd be slightly concerned about what's inside your CU, but it may all be fine.
Rough is being exceedingly generous.

Never ceases to amaze me what people will walk away from.

That could have been so much better with a little forethought, experience and care. Oddly, probably no more cost.

Edi to Add...

Why has the CU been moved 2ft to the right anyway?

It appears to me that they installed a 12way splitty for five circuits.

Probably selling them off at ScrewStation so the fella picked one up, realised it wouldn't fit on the original board and then disappeared down a rabbit hole of poor decisions and workmanship.

Last edited:

Reply to Consumer unit extension wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net