Currently reading:
Working on live distribution boards?

Discuss Working on live distribution boards? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if I'm asked to work on a live db be it TP or SP lv ,by my employer,as I have done for many many years in cases where the board cannot be isolated for various reasons.
if for some reason I'm electrocuted and I have a hot works permit or not, should my employers insurance cover me for injury,death,loss of work, or should I have my own insurance.
can you get insurance for hot works or not?
i have wondered about this for a while, I have a family now, so if for some reason the worst scenario happens,what happens? What can I or my employer do to cover for this?
can any1 enlighten me

We had a chap at work recently who got a electric shock just doing r1+r2s and shorted out a phase
The flash was so bad burnt his beard and burns on his hand....
He lost his job due to not following safe isolation
Don't work live unless PPE along with risk and method but remember PPE is the last line of defence
And power can always be turne o

Last edited by a moderator:
At my place of work we can't do any live tests!!!
Unless the DB is IP2x or it's isolated and temp barriers installed over every possible live part and if that can't be done it's noted as a code 3 and replaced before the next test.

Well your H&S people are muppets then.

Live testing is NOT live working, according to HSE anyway.

blind paul how do i do my live testing ?
though thinking about it the next report i do i can put cant test because fuse board live
hmmm should cut a good hour of my testing time

It seems that you have fallen into the muppet category that considers live testing as live working, as I have said there is a HUGE difference.
Live testing, is NOT, live working, if you can't see and understand that, go get a job in Tesco it will be safer for everyone.

In certain respects i,am glad i retired after 50yr but i still miss it ,i used to look at a job/task and work out the pros & cons, if it could be done safely then do it if youve have doubts don,t do it get a second opinion .

All I will say on the matter is if your working live testing or live work dont become complacent , its then you make the mistake and that could cost you your life , or you end up with a hair do like mine !!!!

And that's what exactly happened at my work a complacent mistake..

And it sparked a knee jerk reaction and placed a no live testing rule...
Or testing using PPE eg 1000v gloves, apron, face shield and rubber Matt.
Along with other procedures.

Dont be stupid tony, obviously you don't touch the live parts, but circumstances change all the time you might be unlucky one day, something may push you into the board, there may be a loud Bang somewhere else that causes you to jump, anything can happen at any moment
that kind of answer is the kind i expect of the fat f*** telling me to just do it it will be ok it's fine, then he walks into the ladder and you fall into the panel board oops sorry mate, yours kids won't have a dad this Christmas
to all you fat f**** out there with that attitude, go work for the council

Well if you're dumb enough to work Live without barriers and signage etc in place, you deserve what you get!
There are plenty of systems in place to reduce the risks...GS38, Permit to Work, etc etc...
The Regulations are quite clear on this subject!

In certain respects i,am glad i retired after 50yr but i still miss it ,i used to look at a job/task and work out the pros & cons, if it could be done safely then do it if youve have doubts don,t do it get a second opinion .
Agree with this.
the op raised an interesting point on who would get blamed if it went wrong
but we are electricians are we not?
would I climb into a live panel board chamber and connect a cable onto bus bars? eh no.
would I connect a cable into a live 3 phase distribution board ? yes
Assess the risks I would say

Reply to Working on live distribution boards? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back