Currently reading:
10KvA Transformer

Discuss 10KvA Transformer in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Are you enquiring for the fuse rating at full load?..... as the demand would be proportional to the secondary side load connected.

I just need to know what type and size MCB to use on a 10KvA site transformer, and what would be the maximum pulled if the secondry side was fully loaded.

Thanks

This is one where calcs dont help but you need tech data from manufacturers of mcbs but to help you out on this one 10kva for a merlin gerin mcb is either 50A type C, or 25A type D. The recommendations are pretty much level across the playing field for different brands but i recommend you get a products book for each make of board as the info is in the back and a god-send at times. They ref' recommends for different lighting, motors transformers etc and more often than not its higher than you think so unless you checked first you may find supply cabling too small.
Its something often overlooked at college but alot of people fall foul of it and end up with nuisence tripping to which they are puzzled.

Last edited:
Sorry,
I think we are talking about different things here, Let me be more clear.

400v to 110v 10KvA Site Transformer for the use of hand tools and festoon lighting.

I was under the impression that it should have a D type mcb and pulled around 16A per phase at full load. I was just looking for confirmation.

Thanks

Sorry,
I think we are talking about different things here, Let me be more clear.

400v to 110v 10KvA Site Transformer for the use of hand tools and festoon lighting.

I was under the impression that it should have a D type mcb and pulled around 16A per phase at full load. I was just looking for confirmation.

Thanks
Sorry my typo error it is type D i realised my mistake and changed it but the loading per phase is only part of the equation the inrush of a low voltage/low voltage transformer is usually 10 to 15 times its rating and thus must be accounted for when selecting an mcb, so the recommendation still stands 50amp type c or 25amp type d.

You about right at 16a primary side but its usually hard to overload these things as the secondary side has mcb protection on the outputs but be cautios of fitting anything less than 25A type D as nuisense tripping will be a pain in the arse when turning the unit on.

Hiya Bud,

I use 10KvA transformers all the time and always use 25D type and have never had a problem with them, as for what they pull, well it is down to the loading on the secondary side but if you are concerned for the amount of supply you have available to you I would work on 20A per phase...

:cool:ICE:cool:

Hiya Bud,

I use 10KvA transformers all the time and always use 25D type and have never had a problem with them, as for what they pull, well it is down to the loading on the secondary side but if you are concerned for the amount of supply you have available to you I would work on 20A per phase...

You seem to have answered your own question ICE:rolleyes:

Hiya Bud,

Thanks for your advice:) it has been most helpfull

You not talk at home then..?

Some thing that also happens with site transformers quite a lot is when the chippy or who ever turns up with his 3Kva tranny plugs it in to the office ring main and all the computers go out because the circuit is on a B rated breaker, sparky normally gets blamed

Reply to 10KvA Transformer in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock