Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss 16A socket with 3A load in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I am in a.bit of a tiz with this one, an external light with no built-in fuse carrier is required to be fed by a 16A socket backed up by a 16A rcbo due to the fact the socket will some time be used to supply a heavier load. What about over current protection of the light.

As above, probably what I would do is metal-clad FCU and a couple of plastic glands to grip the cable. Could be switched if you need a operational switch somewhere, otherwise just fuse only.

Hi guys.
I am in a.bit of a tiz with this one, an external light with no built-in fuse carrier is required to be fed by a 16A socket backed up by a 16A rcbo due to the fact the socket will some time be used to supply a heavier load. What about over current protection of the light.
As a fixed load it doesn't require overload protection, but does require fault current protection, so providing the cable supplying the light etc is suitable for protection by 16A it is completely acceptable as is....

Unless the luminaire has a note stated "this must be protected by a 6A mcb" or similar, in which case fit a fcu with a 3A fuse between the plug and luminaire.

'Fixed load' was being used to mean 'unable to create an overload condition'' rather than 'fixed in position.' A lamp generally cannot cause an overload so as per @Julie. it does not need overload protection. If the lamp were somehow able to draw 3A it would be on fire, so there is no point fusing the 16A supply down to 3A to protect against overload as it won't. Therefore only fault protection would benefit and that is more or less down to the choice of cable unless the MI's state otherwise. Wire it in 1.0 sq, mm and there is no point fusing that down below 16A either.

Reply to 16A socket with 3A load in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net