• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss 18th Edition EXAM UPDATE REQUIRED in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HI ANYONE KNOW WETHER WE HAVE TO SIT AN UPDATE FOR THIS , IS IT MANDATORY ?
No need to shout Mate, I suppose to be compliant you will need to become 18th edition qualified, as it is with the 17th, I think some of the scamschools are advertising courses as we speak.

What I find annoying is reading if you have 17th A3 then 1 day course, but if you are 17th but prior to A3, then 3 day course. What is that all about, apart from a scam to charge more for something I don't need?

If you are self employed & run your own business, I think its a given. If you're an employee its what you employer degrees, or future employer sees as essential qualification or not.

What I find annoying is reading if you have 17th A3 then 1 day course, but if you are 17th but prior to A3, then 3 day course. What is that all about, apart from a scam to charge more for something I don't need?

I think these particular 'courses' are all a bit of a scam. Its an exercise on how to use a publications contents & index, and a time set aside for an exam. There's no instructional content, the learning you have to do yourself.

I think these particular 'courses' are all a bit of a scam. Its an exercise on how to use a publications contents & index, and a time set aside for an exam. There's no instructional content, the learning you have to do yourself.
As you say Middy an excercisein how to navigate a books contents, plus how to pass an exam, no learning content whatsoever, they are a required element, as wellas being a licence to print money for the scam schools.

I wouldn't mind if they actually taught you something. When I did my 17th, I spent my own time reading researching, doing mock exams, before going on the course.

I know there's some on here who say its a walk in the park, thats not the point, still paying with hard earnt cash.

Not being funny :))), a JIB card requires you to do a H&S exam, not quite the same or in depth as BS7671, but no less important. Price £30 for a multi choice exam, and they will send you a booklet with all the questions & answers.

From my own minimal research on the matter, the 18th comes out on July 2nd, but doesn't come into effect until 18 months later. That's January 2020.
You've got plenty time to get the qualification.

Theres a whole new section 8 been added. That's hardly a "minor" change.

It is not mandatory... but certainly advantageous to have.

From my own minimal research on the matter, the 18th comes out on July 2nd, but doesn't come into effect until 18 months later. That's January 2020.
You've got plenty time to get the qualification.

Theres a whole new section 8 been added. That's hardly a "minor" change.

It is not mandatory... but certainly advantageous to have.

The 18th Edition, are due to be published in July 2018 with the regulations coming into full effect in January 2019.

From my own minimal research on the matter, the 18th comes out on July 2nd, but doesn't come into effect until 18 months later. That's January 2020. You've got plenty time to get the qualification.

Does this mean I can expect pass my ELECSA 2019 assessment without wasting days and money on a "course" and "exam"?

Does this mean I can expect pass my ELECSA 2019 assessment without wasting days and money on a "course" and "exam"?
Ha - my review is in Sept so I'll be promising to do it for next year no doubt. But I definitely won't be taking classes for it, I'll do one of the "on line" training things where you just show up for the the exam :) .

Ha - my review is in Sept so I'll be promising to do it for next year no doubt. I won't be taking classes though, I'll do one of the "on line" training things where you just show up for the the exam :) .

Reply to 18th Edition EXAM UPDATE REQUIRED in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back