Discuss 1A fuse in a 13A plug - what will happen? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry about that. My mistake. Didn't realise that 20mm was an inch........ (better half will be quite pleased with the reassessment.)
Back to the fuses.

(Why do I get sucked in??????)

A HBC fuse is not a plug top fuse.
Go round the house and see if you can find a three pin plug that doesn't have scrunched up baco foil in it, take out the fuse and measure it. You may notice a difference.
Ever wondered why there are so many styles of fuses?

You can not be serious ? 25mm is an inch 20mm is roughly 3/4 inch think you need to back to school:33:

Last edited:
I do wonder about that over 700w should be 13A, had a Belt Sander from B&Q with .75mm2 cable, and a 13A fuse...
The reason I got for a similar situation was that "it will likely fail within the plug or the appliance and therefore failsafe" I still don't like it at all, especially when some 2377 tutors are telling students to swap any plug fuses for 3 or 13 amp fuses using the <700W = 3A and >700W = 13A unless its IT kit and to do the swap to "look like your doing something"....personally it feels like watering down of safety and a serious dumbing down of standards, I could understand if say all new appliances were supplied with either 0.75mm2 and a 3A fuse or 1.5mm2 and a 13A fuse, but a lot of own brand stuff is coming with H03.... 0.75mm2 flex and 13A fuses sometimes with a load exceeding 2Kw....I won't be surprised to read of someone killed in a house fire due to overheated flex starting a fire, or a shock due to degraded insulation.......

I guess this is going off-topic, but what is the reason you have such a tiny wire in the fuse (any fuse), yet all that current can pass through all the larger wires in the cabling without blowing the fuse the moment ANY power is switched on.

Perhaps this is a rhetorical question - we all know what fuses are for, but I was interested in the mechanics of it... but then...

Why have cabling such as 1.5mm or 2.5mm when the fuse size does not alter? What does the larger cable permit that the smaller does not?

"Why have cabling such as 1.5mm or 2.5mm when the fuse size does not alter? What does the larger cable permit that the smaller does not?"

The larger cables have a lower voltage drop than smaller cables so if you had a long piece of fuse wire (small) it would have a relativly high resistance compared to say a 1.5mm wire and get warm/hot thereby dissapating some of the energy you want to get to your appliance. Fuse wire gets warm in the fuse if it is run near its capacity but the length involved is so small the voltage drop is negligable.

Why would they teach about inches/feet in school? Its been replaced for years!

My Mrs had better stop pestering me for my 6 inch todger and start getting metricated then
icon6.png
icon7.png

Why would they teach about inches/feet in school? Its been replaced for years!

My Mrs had better stop pestering me for my 6 inch todger and start getting metricated then
icon6.png
icon7.png

When the Government ordered us to all go metric back in '73 (I think) I was working in engineering.

All out Company did was redraw all the engineering drawings onto metric sized drawing paper & change the Imperial dimensions to Metric.

All our measuring instruments (micrometers etc) were all Imperial, as were the graduated dials on all the machines, so whenever a drawing for a component arrived on the shop floor, the machinist would spend half an hour or so with his calculator & pencil changing all the Metric dimensions back to Imperial.

The only other concession our boss made with regard to "Going Metric" was to buy one 25mm - 50mm external micrometer which he then insisted on calling the "1" - 2" Metric micrometer" !!!

I worked in a further 5 engineering companies up until 1982 and none of them had fully embraced the Metric System.

(and why should we?? ........... the Americans didn't!!)

Ian wrote:"You can not be serious ? 25mm is an inch 20mm is roughly 3/4 inch think you need to back to school"

you need to read the posting I was replying to, and the sarcasm in my response will come shining through like a beacon...............

(Reads better knowing what the comment was about, dunnit?)

I am also old enough to remember when things on a roll had to be sold in metric lengths, but perversely widths were still imperial. ( so very last century!!)

typical conversation>
100 yards of visqueen please.
it's a 100 metres these days mate. Get with the times....Now do you want it 9 foot wide or 12 foot?

We used to rule the world, you know

I'm approaching bus pass age. Every morning I have to sit on the end of the bed until the deafening noise of my bones finishes before i stand up,and all that takes longer than the drive to work, and you STILL call me junior

When I went to school they kept on changing the units of measure for things due to metrication. So I learnt foot pounds inches, Centimeter gramm seconds, metre kilogram seconds with poundals, newtons, and all sorts of other things that I ca

can no longer remember. As a result I have absolutly no idea what goes with what. While I can use these new fangled things I still understand inches and feet best.

I managed to press something which posted the last reply part way through. so this is the rest.

Plugging in a 1amp fuse on a 13amp appliance wouldnt make it go bang it would just heat the fuse up rapidly and it will break, an appliance with a motor may make it pop a little with the inrush but it would need a fault condition to make it vapouries the copper wire leaving the familiar copper coated glass effect, at standard voltage of 230v its possible for the vapourised glass coating to still give a path, some ceramics avoid this issue by filling the fuse with sand so if it was to vapourise the wire it is extremely unlikely to leave a copper track that the cuurent could still use.
Lower voltage are less likely to be able to track across a blown fuse and glass is ideal as you can see if the fusewire is intact and if not whether a short blew it or a overload.

Plugging in a 1amp fuse on a 13amp appliance wouldnt make it go bang it would just heat the fuse up rapidly and it will break, an appliance with a motor may make it pop a little with the inrush but it would need a fault condition to make it vapouries the copper wire leaving the familiar copper coated glass effect, at standard voltage of 230v its possible for the vapourised glass coating to still give a path, some ceramics avoid this issue by filling the fuse with sand so if it was to vapourise the wire it is extremely unlikely to leave a copper track that the cuurent could still use.
Lower voltage are less likely to be able to track across a blown fuse and glass is ideal as you can see if the fusewire is intact and if not whether a short blew it or a overload.

The BS Standard (BS1362) requires them to be filled IIRC with sand.

The BS Standard (BS1362) requires them to be filled IIRC with sand.
When i said 'some ceramics' was refering to the many varieties of ceramic fuses but yes agree BS1362 requires the sand for the reason ive given but other ceramic fuses do employ different methods but they also have a physical size advantage, BS1362 are very small given rise to potential tracking hence the requirement.

i thought it was 25.4. and anyway metric system is stupid. ever heard anyone say " not many of those in a killergram"?

Last edited:

Reply to 1A fuse in a 13A plug - what will happen? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net