Discuss 2 17A Heat Mats Through Contactor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

atm-12

-
Reaction score
Hi, I need to install 2 separate underfloor heat mats both rated at 17A on individual 20A breakers. The heatmat controls are rated at 16A so I think it would have to go through a contactor right? I can install an enclosure in a cupboard for the contactors but would I have to use 2 x 1 pole contactors like this, or is a 2 pole contactor like this ok with 2 separate circuits running through it.

And just out of curiosity because I havent used contactors before, would it be possible to have the power to pull the relay in switched from a seperate circuit? So a supply from a control circuit, then 2 loads on there own circuits through 1 double pole contactor.

Thanks

i'd first speak to manufacturers ans see if that 16A rating has a bit of latitude. if using a contactor is necessary, then a 2 pole contactor is acceptable. ( label the contactor enclosure saying "2 circuits inside" or words to that effect). use whatever you like to energise the coil as long as it's installed safely.

Last edited:
Most contactors have two ratings inductive and resistive. So which rating do you use bearing in mind the load? You tell me and I’ll say if you’re right or wrong, then you’ll get help.
Do a bit of the work to get the answers, not unreasonable is it?

Reply to 2 17A Heat Mats Through Contactor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello all, I know this is very simple but I would like some advice please. I am installing a new circuit to feed 5 external floodlights. It is...
Replies
Views
I'm after some advice please, I have carbon mat underfloor heating throughout my bungalow, each room has its own thermostat and are fed via a...
Replies
Views
5 single phases to one huge property. Backup generator which can take about 106 amps split between 2 phases - 1 phase will be wired through...
Replies
Views
I didn't get a picture so will have to wait until I go back again but I've done a crude drawing of what was there. Its in a commercial set up...
Replies
Views
Hi. Can anyone offer a bit of advice please. I've got a customer who wants needs an upgrade to their consumer units. It is a bungalow that has a 3...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock