Discuss 2.5mm Armoured cable supplying shed, on 13 amp FCU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kyran

-
Reaction score
Hi all what would be the best option. A client has an existing armoured cable that is spurred of the living room socket via a 13a FCU, the armoured cable is then run to a shed, were they used to have a lights. Now as the shed was rotten then have taken it down to replace it. This time they would like some sockets to run lawnmover ect.

what would be best option, take the armoured into the shed and terminate it into a small garage CU then have one lighting and one socket come out of it. change the socket MCB to a 10 amp in order to maintain discrimination.

There is a need to have and RCD as the house ring main that the armoured is connected to does not have any RCD protection on it as its an older board but still has more model MCBs on it.

Or

Would you take the Armoured into another FCU (in the shed) that then goes to a RCD socket. with a second FCU coming off load side of the first FCU fused down to 6amps for the light. But how would you then maintain discrimination between either ends of the armoured cable.

What peoples thoughts.

You are making an addition/alteration to an existing circuit so will need to comply to current reg's ....

What does the BS7671 say about what you propose doing, the answers are all in there?

Try help yourself here, if any regs your unclear on just specify them and we will help but please don't expect us to tell you how to do your job, you need to refer to your OSG or the Regulations book .... it would also be advisable to start considering meeting the 17th edition 3rd ammendments from now on to ease yourself into the new requirements that will become compulsory later.

cheapest option: change the existing FCU for a RCD FCU, then run SWA direct to ad. box in shed.connect to 2.5 T/E, then to socket/s then via a 5A FCU to lights.

Are we talking about a little wooden shed here or is this something more robust with a metal contruct?
Will their be any other services to the shed and if so are they in metal?
Before you start redesigning the existing we need to be clear on what the client is getting in replacement, it could mean any options mentioned wouldn't be acceptable.

cheapest option: change the existing FCU for a RCD FCU, then run SWA direct to ad. box in shed.connect to 2.5 T/E, then to socket/s then via a 5A FCU to lights.

Why this? Could the RFC be protected by a RCD already? The OP hasn't covered this, nor the bonding status.

Reply to 2.5mm Armoured cable supplying shed, on 13 amp FCU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net