Discuss 2 way light switch wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

diddicoy

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, Diddycoy here. I have a new mk 2 way switch I would like to put in place of a crabtree light switch. I crabtree switch crackles a lot and the landing light flickers so thought it would be time to renew.
I have never seen l3 on a light switch so advice needed please. Thanks and note I noticed the switch is upside down that's how it was when I unscrewed it.IMG_0807.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some switches use C for Common, L1, and L2

Others use L1 for Common, then L2, L3

Some switches also have a terminal marked Loop…. For parking a neutral.

Some switches use C for Common, L1, and L2

Others use L1 for Common, then L2, L3

Some switches also have a terminal marked Loop…. For parking a neutral.
Hi , thanks for the reply. Would I be safe to say that on the new switch I take from the old switch L1 to com L2 to L1 and L3 to L2. Thanks again

Hi , thanks for the reply. Would I be safe to say that on the new switch I take from the old switch L1 to com L2 to L1 and L3 to L2. Thanks again
Yes, but obviously get the L1 paired with the correct L2 and L3!
From what I see the grey? L1 nearest us is with the twin red and twin black.

Look at the switch as two different sections… the L1 at the top goes with the L2 and L3 at the bottom and vice versa.
In a triangle of terminal holes.

Just swap them onto the new switch one at a time, and make sure the power is isolated!!!!!!

Look at the switch as two different sections… the L1 at the top goes with the L2 and L3 at the bottom and vice versa.
In a triangle of terminal holes.

Just swap them onto the new switch one at a time, and make sure the power is isolated!!!!!!
Thanks and the penny has dropped now you say about it being 2 different sections and of course safety is always at the forefront of my mind but thanks for saying.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to 2 way light switch wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net