Discuss 2 way Master Dimmer Light switch and Slave Dimmer Wiring New Build House in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bridger80

Hi all,

I was hoping for some advise on wiring the above switches, I have knowledge of vehicle electrics etc but didnt want to attempt this before speaking with you guys for guidance.

My house is a new build (2 years old)

I have a ceiling light in my living room with 2 seperate switches controlling it (either side of the living room)

I have purchased a Lightwave 2 way touch dimmer and the equivalent slave unit so I can hopefully use both switches as dimmers.

Ok the standard rocker switches are wired as follows:

Switch 1: Brown L1
Black L2
Grey L3

Switch 2: Brown L1
Blue and a Grey Joined to L2 (Both with brown Sleeve)
Black and another Brown joined L3 (Black with brown sleeve)

(earth Connected to metal back box on switch 1, Earth screwed into chocolate block in swich 2 which is a plastic back box)

The Lightwave switches come with:

L
S
~ (With an arrow through it).

I have looked at the instructions that came with these and it seems self explanetry with regards the socket with 3 wires but not so easy with the socket with 5 wires?

What I was hoping to find out is, does the slave go to socket with 3 wires or the socket with 5 wires? And also just to confirm what wires go where?

I am not an amateur when it comes to electrics but I am also not an electrician so this is why I have come on to speak to you guys before attempting. I have also searched a lot for this information before posting as I didnt want to waste anybodys time but I just cant seem to find a set up which has this wiring setup?!

Thanks in advance.

Aren't those light wave dimmers remote controlled? I put the receiver in the ceiling and both switches where battery operated in the last job I did with them. Might be a different model.

Aren't those light wave dimmers remote controlled? I put the receiver in the ceiling and both switches where battery operated in the last job I did with them. Might be a different model.

You can get a remote for these I have, but the one you mentioned must be a different model as these are not battery operated.

I would just like to clear up that I am by no means "playing with my electrics" this is why I have asked this before attempting. I understand some people might do this but I am confidant in all work I carry out I mearly wanted some advise so i can do the job myself as I enjoy doing all modifications to my house myself.

Thank you loop3 for your reply.

firstly switch off lights at fuse board. and make sure they are off. are you sure thats correctly noted usually have both same colurs on l2 or l3 not opposite?

your switch two is the main one (5 cables) i think on those L is common i presume!

so put the single brown in L, the blue and grey to S and the brown (this brown was with the black on original switch) and black to arrow (should be l2)

and the slave switch brown in L, grey in S and black in arrow

so the colours are same to corresponding symbol

Reply to 2 way Master Dimmer Light switch and Slave Dimmer Wiring New Build House in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net