Discuss 230V or 240V? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

whazza22

I quite often hear people referring to the mains voltage as 230V but also 240V.

What do the 17th edition regs class it as?

Thanks

It officially 'changed' from 240v to 230v (about 10 yrs ago I think) to bring our supply in line with the EU. I'm pretty sure nothing actually changed....just that it is now referred to as 230v.

it's still 240 but to comply with johnny foreigner, i.e. brussels sprouts beuro rats, the IEE changed the tolerance from +/- 6% to +10%,-6% to shut em up. not sure of exact figures but that's about it. it's 240, but we have to call it 230. all be ok when we all speak german or french. ( Napoleon & Hitler reincarnate)

I remember my college teacher telling me everything runs at 240V untill the transformer breaks Down and they change it for a transformer that runs 230V and everything will eventually change too 230V its just waiting for a reason too change.

I personally always slip up when talking and still say 240.

Its a nominal voltage,so it does not really exist
Its for designing systems and equipment to run and supply at that voltage
The actual violtage, as stated by others, will be more averaged at 240 volt,all the supply equipment has been made with that in mind, and it aint gonna change just yet

It's 230V, however many manufacturers will still be likely to refer to 240V in their instructions/reference material. If this is the case then we would need to apply a line voltage (Uo) of 240 when working out the circuit demand.

I have also known occasions where a manufacturer will deliberatley stick to labelling there appliances to 240V, as it means they can label the power of their equipment higher.

For example, you have a shower with a demand of 30A. If this is considered at 230V, it would have to be described as 6.9kW. Whilst if you maintain the 240V you can get away with calling it 7.2kW.

P.242 in the BRB...... that's what 3 yrs in college does to you!

:)........very sad that I know where it is - I must try and get out a bit more often

Just keep the Belgians out of the equation. I spent 6 months of purgatory in a UK factory with Belgian machines. 440 & 380 side by side, each M/c had it’s own transformer instead of a central distribution system.

I was quite happy with 550 & 440V under M&Q. But 380V is a foreign weird thing.

Strange thing is 440V is always referred to as 415V even though it isn’t?

Reply to 230V or 240V? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net