Discuss 2365 for Home/DIY? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Fredwinf

Been reading for days alot of the posts and obvisouly staying away from zero to hero courses is the 2365 lv2/3 suitable for household jobs? Or is there something else more suitable. Would i have to get an "electrician" to certify what i have done? Im More interested in becoming more competent for DIY and maybe small jobs for friends family than making a career im if misguided anywhere correction would be great.

(Sorry posted this in wrong thread last time)

Unless you are a glutton for study punishment and have deep pockets a 2365 is not an easy or cheap route. I am on year two and finding it a struggle (despite having completed an apprenticeship some years ago and working for a DNO). I have not got to bed prior to 1am every night this week as I have been studying formulas. I consider my training providers competitively priced and I still have outlaid over £3k to date. I intend to do the 2357 conversion which will cost me a further £1200 After the 2365 and 2357 conversion and the gaining of experience you would also have to pass a 2382 (15) 17th edition course to sign onto a competent persons scheme, the scheme will cost you a further £300+ per year. For a competent persons scheme you have to hold public liabilities insurance, all relevant books, calibrated test equipment, guidance notes etc etc.

In short you need to consider what you intend to achieve and if it is economically viable or achievable, the concept of doing jobs cheap for family and friends is a bit of a fallacy unless you intend subsidising it from your own pocket. However that being said if you have the time will and funds to complete the training it can be very rewarding!:)

Last edited:
Great reply thanks for your input. I have time outside of my day job so its something i wouldnt mind doing and the cost isnt a problem its just something i wouldnt mind having but from what ive read its abit overkill for what i want to do.

better overkill on training than customer kill in the real world.

edit:just clocked your location. just remember that oatcakes are not an approved insulator. :ack2:

Last edited:
Perhaps overkill was the wrong word. I just ment for personal diy that much training to change an oven or light etc is a long time im still looking into it. I have time so no rush.

there's a vast difference between changing accessories/appliances etc. and designing a circuit or installation that is functional and safe.

as it stands at present, anyone can do minor electrical work with no qualifications whatever. that's why b&q sell everything you need to burn down a house. electricity kills more people than gas, so why is this allowed. to reconnect a gas cooker.you need to be registered as gas safe. to reconnect an electric cooker all you need is a screwdriver. this once respected trade has become a joke fuelled by the schemes who are motivated only by their revenue streams.

I 100% appreciate that and thats why i want to further my education and skills and do it right. Im an engineer so i have an understanding. Ive had a read of the scams or schemes to what i need to do so pretty happy now.

Reply to 2365 for Home/DIY? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net