Discuss 3 phase domestic installation issues in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have been out to a property 3 times in the past week to a country pile with a 3 phase supply that keeps blowing it's 100amp distributor fuse.

The property has a pool house, a large garage with power, stables with power and a wooden annex type space also with power.

I have taken off every accessory in this huge place and can't find any obvious issues.

At the board I have measured a PFC of 1.19 kA and a PSCC of similar.

Nothing trips in the board when the dist fuse goes, I've not done a lot of work with 3 phase so unsure where to go from here.

Any advice much appreciated.

It sounds like the property has a high demand and may be useing more that 100A which is causeing the fuse to overload and blow, might want to get a clamp meter and check how many amps it is pulling.

Sit down with the customer, try to analyze the situation,
Try to establish a pattern to it,
When does it blow ? What time of day or night ?
What is likely in use ? What was recently turned on ?
Don't forget automatically controlled loads too,
Like pumps and water heaters.

you have 3 DNO fuses. is it the same phase that blows each time?

Yes same one every time, this is the board, as you can see pretty busy in there.

IMG_20180319_164246.jpg

Why have you taken off every accessory? Was that a random attempt at finding something by guesswork?

Do you carry out any testing or approach this in a logical manner?

Evidently otherwise I wouldn't have been able to post the PFC and pssc. Do you have anything constructive to add such as the logical approach you would take?

It is unlikely that any accessory is causing a main fuse to blow, more likely to be an overload. Has anything been added recently?
They say not but then having said that I found a whole floor via the loft they hadn't even mentioned to me! Everything is in old colours except for 2 circuits, 1 of which is lighting and the other I'm not sure at this stage as it's not labeled, hence one of the reasons for looking at all accessories.

Evidently otherwise I wouldn't have been able to post the PFC and pssc. Do you have anything constructive to add such as the logical approach you would take?

The logical approach of take is to think about what might cause a cutout fuse to blow without any mcb operating.
So either a fault between the cutout and the DB, am overload, or loose connections/overheating of the cutout.
Therefore randomly removing accessories is a waste of time and the customers money.

Why measure the PFC and PSCC? Did you carry out any other tests?

Taken off all accessories in a place like that ? That would take me a week I reckon. Wouldn't even consider that in the event of a phase loss.

Overload would be my first thought at that place and I would check the load balancing and take some measurements.

What bearing do old coloured cables have on this ?

The logical approach of take is to think about what might cause a cutout fuse to blow without any mcb operating.
So either a fault between the cutout and the DB, am overload, or loose connections/overheating of the cutout.
Therefore randomly removing accessories is a waste of time and the customers money.

They weren't randomly removed, they were removed starting with according to the customer where they were and what they had been doing when the power was lost, then followed by exterior accessories that may have defects. I'm here looking for help, what other tests would you suggest, I haven't seen anything like this before as been used to new installation work on new builds until laid off recently and started self employed.

They weren't randomly removed, they were removed starting with according to the customer where they were and what they had been doing when the power was lost, then followed by exterior accessories that may have defects. I'm here looking for help, what other tests would you suggest, I haven't seen anything like this before as been used to new installation work on new builds until laid off recently and started self employed.
Taken off all accessories in a place like that ? That would take me a week I reckon. Wouldn't even consider that in the event of a phase loss.

Overload would be my first thought at that place and I would check the load balancing and take some measurements.

Someone asked if anything new had been installed recently that's why the old colours were mentioned. I get that's it's likely an overload but why then do no mcb's/rcd's not go before DNO Fuse?

Someone asked if anything new had been installed recently that's why the old colours were mentioned. I get that's it's likely an overload but why then do no mcb's/rcd's not go before DNO Fuse?

What Dave said

That still sounds pretty random to me, what was the logical reason for removing those accessories and how did you expect it to help you diagnose the problem?
What I’m asking is what fault you think is likely to occur in an accessory which could cause the cutout fuse to blow without causing an mcb to operate?

With regards testing I’d probably have measured the current in each phase to get an idea of the background load on the installation.

Reply to 3 phase domestic installation issues in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net