Discuss 3 phase motors in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

they require a starter in order to provide, overload, short ciruit and undervoltage protection.
a phase montior, i read as a phase failure relay. this will cut the supply, if one or more of the phases fail, or differ in voltage beyond a preset value. this will prolong the life of your motor.

Once a supply is connected to a three phase induction motor a rotating magnetic field will be set up in the stator, this will link and cut the rotor bars which in turn will induce rotor currents and create a rotor field which will interact with the stator field and produce rotation. Of course this means that the three phase induction motor is entirely capable of self starting.The need for a starter therefore is not, conversely enough, to provide starting but to reduce heavy starting currents and provide overload and no-voltage protection.
There are a number of different types of starter including The Direct On-line Starter, The Star-
Delta Starter Auto-Transformer and Rotor resistance.

Phase Monitor Relays protect against unbalanced voltages or single phasing regardless of any regenerative voltages.

Last edited:
Once a supply is connected to a three phase induction motor a rotating magnetic field will be set up in the stator, this will link and cut the rotor bars which in turn will induce rotor currents and create a rotor field which will interact with the stator field and produce rotation. Of course this means that the three phase induction motor is entirely capable of self starting.The need for a starter therefore is not, conversely enough, to provide starting but to reduce heavy starting currents and provide overload and no-voltage protection.
There are a number of different types of starter including The Direct On-line Starter, The Star-
Delta Starter Auto-Transformer and Rotor resistance.

Phase Monitor Relays protect against unbalanced voltages or single phasing regardless of any regenerative voltages.

A short but precise response to the O/Ps questions. He should now know the reasons behind his whys...lol!!!

Phase monitoring or phase failure? To be honest they are often one and the same, they check all three phases are present, the voltage is within a set tolerance and the phase rotation is correct.

I’ve only time I've ever seen them fitted was to passenger lifts. There the phase rotation is a waste of time as about the only thing that could change the rotation is a motor change, the relay monitors the supply to the panel not at the motor so it’s a waste of time.

Mind you they could come in handy when Brussels decides to change the rotation of the National Grid!

Last edited by a moderator:
i,ve worked on different types of machine where phase monitoring/ failure relays are fitted as standard as incorrect rotation can be disastrous. ive seen a machine moved to another location in the same room but plugged into a different 16A socket with expensive consequence.

Shoot the electrician that wired the sockets up with reverse phase rotation. It’s not rocket science to get it right. And to my mind more fool a company that has vital equipment on plugs and sockets.

The first plants I worked on all had reverse phase rotation due to the company having it’s own power station in the 1930’s. The biggest laugh was a contracting foreman assuring me that every drive in a newly built plant would go the right direction first time. R>U Y>V B>W will give clockwise rotation looking at the motor shaft, or so he thought. I hadn’t the heart to tell him everything would go backwards! 90 drives had to be reversed at the motor terminal block!

Can anyone point me at a good source of info to learn about 3 phase motor control, overload protection and starter relay delay's?

Many Thanks

Reply to 3 phase motors in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net