Discuss 3phase or single phase motor. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

spark91

hey guys, ok basically a friend bought a 2nd hand thickness planer and asked me to do him a favour and wire it for him.i havnt much experience at this. first off i cant tell if the motor is single or 3phase, it has 400v and 220v written on the plate on the side of the motor. there is a connection block on the side of the machine and there is a brown and blue cable there which means single phase but them 2 cables are then connected to a 3 phase contactor. can a 3 phase contactor work with single phase and how do you wire it? or could you run two seperate single phases to the motor with no neutral or do all motors need a neutral? ha im just confused on this. some questions are prob stupid any help would be very much appreciated tho. thanks

Usually a single phase motor will have at least one or maybe two capacitors so they're fairly easy to identify.

would anything happen if say i just wired it with single phase and it was 3phase? could i do damage to the machine or anything?

it is a 3 phase motor, does it have a KW rating on the nameplate? if it's small you can connect a single phase supply to a frequency inverter to give a variable speed 3 phase output, i'm not sure but i think this would be cheaper than going down the road of a converter

Reply to 3phase or single phase motor. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I am looking for a connection diagram or sugestions for a 2.2Kw single phase motor to drive a compressor. The spec plate shows that it can be...
Replies
Views
Hi I have inherited a compressor with a single phase motor but its been stripped and I need to fathom out what's what.. I don't know if it even...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I have recently purchased a motor soft starter from aliexpress for a 3 phase motor Before connecting load I measured the input and...
Replies
Views
Absolutely losing my brain here guys What I would like to be able to do is power our 3 phase motor on a single phase supply. Thought I had it...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I signed up here for a little help. I bought a 3 phase bandsaw and went down the rabbit hole of VFD’s etc. ‘The motor is 3 phase 400v...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock