Discuss 3phase volt drop. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Simonslimline

-
Arms
Reaction score
This is one of a weekly question by sparks magazine posted on Facebook to win free tools each week. Everyone has answered B. 8Volts. I am not sure this is correct. Please could anyone help me with this. I have posted it up in here rather than just the trainee section so more people will see it. Not bothered about the prize. I just have a feeling that 8volts is wrong, but would happily be corrected on this.:) Thanks.

To comply with IEE Wiring Regulations the voltage drop on a three phase 400v Circuit should not exceed:
a) 4v
b) 8v
c) 20v
d) 32v

I think its 20 as this is 5% of 400 but am really not sure.

I know for single phase it is 3% lighting and 5% for other circuits. I have searched for threads on here and cant seem to find an answer. It is something i also dont recall going over at college.

Last edited:
5% 0f 400 is 20. that's my answer. never seen 3 phase lighting.

This is one of a weekly question by sparks magazine posted on Facebook to win free tools each week. Everyone has answered B. 8Volts. I am not sure this is correct. Please could anyone help me with this. I have posted it up in here rather than just the trainee section so more people will see it. Not bothered about the prize. I just have a feeling that 8volts is wrong, but would happily be corrected on this.:) Thanks.

To comply with IEE Wiring Regulations the voltage drop on a three phase 400v Circuit should not exceed:
a) 4v
b) 8v
c) 20v
d) 32v

strange question imo
lighting 3%
distribution 5%
Line to neutral 230v
Line to line 400v
therefore maximum volt drop would be 5% of 400v = 400x0.05 = 20v

Think the question is a city and guilds favorate, which gets repeated over and over again. So yep you'll find the answer as 16volts (4%) if you google it..

Simon its a simple calc, the question is silly and doesnt relate to anything in reality, ie type of circuit, length of run, design curent,,,,,,,it just asks for maximum volt drop which could be 5% of 230v or 5% of 400v..its the usuall meaningless City&Guilds confuse the f out of everybody type of question.

Simon its a simple calc, the question is silly and doesnt relate to anything in reality, ie type of circuit, length of run, design curent,,,,,,,it just asks for maximum volt drop which could be 5% of 230v or 5% of 400v..its the usuall meaningless City&Guilds confuse the f out of everybody type of question.

could be 5 or 8% allowable depending on what the supply is from.

page 314 table 4ab

I thought 20v was correct. Over 100 people have answered 8V so i was just wondering if i was missing something silly that was all.

I am happy it is 20v at 5% of 400 now.:)

Reply to 3phase volt drop. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net