Discuss 40 volts reading on entire 120 v system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I have a concern about the reading I'm getting from every outlet in my house. Its an older...circa 1890's...but from what I understand, has added wiring in 2 major renovations. The first time to add ceiling lights with wall switches; and the second time (1987ish) to install baseboard outlets.

Well every outlet in the house is reading at 40 volts...shouldn't it be 120?....

I've built 1200 watt battery packs and can read a multimeter for further diagnosing....

Hello, I have a concern about the reading I'm getting from every outlet in my house. Its an older...circa 1890's...but from what I understand, has added wiring in 2 major renovations. The first time to add ceiling lights with wall switches; and the second time (1987ish) to install baseboard outlets.

Well every outlet in the house is reading at 40 volts...shouldn't it be 120?....

I've built 1200 watt battery packs and can read a multimeter for further diagnosing....
You. Have a serious neutral problem and the first thing that you need to do is go to the panel, since everything in your house is doing the same thing. Something in your panel has to be loose. Make sure you check that you have a bare wire going from your ground bar in your panel to at least one ground rod. That’s an old house, does it have knob and tubing wiring and what size service do you have ?

Take and post three measurements one after another at an affected outlet: Hot to ground, hot to neutral, neutral to ground. The relationship of the three tells us a lot about the problem.

If there is genuinely 40 volts between hot and neutral, nothing connected to those outlets will function normally, many devices will not function at all. If you are seeing readings of 40V hot to neutral and yet appliances seem to function correctly, suspect your multimeter! Test it on a known good supply in a different location.

If you are seeing 40V hot to ground but 120V hot to neutral, the main ground connection in your panel is likely open-circuit as per @Megawatt. A disconnected main ground will cause all the ground conductors and metal housings of grounded appliances to float up to something below midway between 0 and 120V, with 40V being plausible. This needs to be rectified to prevent risk of electric shock if an appliance develops a ground fault.

Take and post three measurements one after another at an affected outlet: Hot to ground, hot to neutral, neutral to ground. The relationship of the three tells us a lot about the problem.

If there is genuinely 40 volts between hot and neutral, nothing connected to those outlets will function normally, many devices will not function at all. If you are seeing readings of 40V hot to neutral and yet appliances seem to function correctly, suspect your multimeter! Test it on a known good supply in a different location.

If you are seeing 40V hot to ground but 120V hot to neutral, the main ground connection in your panel is likely open-circuit as per @Megawatt. A disconnected main ground will cause all the ground conductors and metal housings of grounded appliances to float up to something below midway between 0 and 120V, with 40V being plausible. This needs to be rectified to prevent
It was a loose grounding wire, I have since connected it and the house is reading 120 again. Thanks again
You. Have a serious neutral problem and the first thing that you need to do is go to the panel, since everything in your house is doing the same thing. Something in your panel has to be loose. Make sure you check that you have a bare wire going from your ground bar in your panel to at least one ground rod. That’s an old house, does it have knob and tubing wiring and what size service do you have ?
It was a loose grounding wire, I have since connected it and the house is reading 120 again; oh it does have knob wiring in a downstairs room, we kept if for the looks. Thanks again

Reply to 40 volts reading on entire 120 v system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock