Discuss 6mm T+E becomes 2.5 T+E at cooker point in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have started a PIR at a house today and the cooker supply leaves the CU as a 6mm T+E (32amp MCB) and at the cooker Switch it's a 2.5mm T+E.

The previous owner was a real cowboy. :(

I'm guessing the old cooker switch was in the wrong place so he extended it with 2.5 T+E and sealed the joint in the wall.

The cooker is a fan oven the kind that comes with a 13amp moulded plug.
I know I want them to rip the kitchen apart, but I don't think it is in there budget, so what do you think about down grading the circuit to a 15amp radial.

any thoughts?

A PIR is exactly that.

You only need to report of the condition of the installation and not rectify anything, unless they have asked you to.

If so, i would downgrade to 20A MCB and note it on the PIR.

A PIR is exactly that.

You only need to report of the condition of the installation and not rectify anything, unless they have asked you to.

The customer is having lighting problems (re cowboy previous owner) mainly cheap transformers but there is a wall light that I can't find a connection to any circuit. so there are other issues

If so, i would downgrade to 20A MCB and note it on the PIR.

Thanks it is at present a 32amp cartridge fuse, but the customer wants a CU upgrade so I will not it on the PIR and downgrade to a 15amp MCB

Richard

First question. What is the cooker loading? Many moden cookers have electric ovens and gas hobs, in which case the load is likely to be in the order of 10Amps. Is there a 13A outlet

2.5mm T&E is normally rated 20A so you coulld use a 20A MCB, (ie unless there is stud around).

If there is an electric hob then start stripping the kitchen.

First question. What is the cooker loading? Many moden cookers have electric ovens and gas hobs, in which case the load is likely to be in the order of 10Amps. Is there a 13A outlet

2.5mm T&E is normally rated 20A so you coulld use a 20A MCB, (ie unless there is stud around).

If there is an electric hob then start stripping the kitchen.

No it is a gas (seperate) hob and a seperate fan oven.

I was just double checking what I thoiught.

Thanks for your help everyone :)

Reply to 6mm T+E becomes 2.5 T+E at cooker point in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net