Discuss A good offer from Toolstation? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Just got the latest flyer from Toolstation. Usual stuff, but the front page made me look again.
OK, let's remember that Toolstation and Screwfix etc get special models, and some drills and impacts have different ratings/torque etc so it's quite time consuming to compare items, however this current offer might be of interest to apprentices and others who need good combi drill/impact sets. The specs look pretty good, and a small drop in nm may not be that critical, tbh.
I am not looking for a new drill/impact set, but the offer includes 3 x 5ah batteries, which currently vary in price from ÂŁ55 to ÂŁ75 each from the usual suppliers.
Screwfix want ÂŁ75 per battery, so 3 of those is ÂŁ225...cheapest i found was ÂŁ50, so that's ÂŁ150. That makes a drill/impact combination very reasonable for those starting a set or just wanting spare drill and impact.
Just a thought...I know the combi drill and impact are not DeWalt's top items, but honestly, to have an extra pair plus 3 x 5ah batteries, plus a charger and a storage case...no brainer imho.

not a bad deal, I have a similar set but it came with the larger drill that has the metal chuck and 3 gears.
mind you, the drill is a wrist wreaker if in low gear and gets stuck hard.

Fair point @James....but we know there are so many variations out there. I was just thinking maybe on a bit of a budget, this was a pretty good offer, especially with the batteries and charger.

Of course, maybe they have downrated the batteries too...but hey, it's a combi drill, and impact driver and 3 batteries and a charger and carry-case for ÂŁ300.

Fair point @James....but we know there are so many variations out there. I was just thinking maybe on a bit of a budget, this was a pretty good offer, especially with the batteries and charger.
Absolutely, great starter package.
my point abut the one i have, is that it is so powerful it can cause you an injury.
great if you know what you are doing and when to hold it with both hands and maybe a knee to help but not so good for a beginner!!!

Fair comment. Mine will also twist your wrists off! However, 3 new 5ah batteries plus a spare charger, drill and impact...what's not to like? LOL!

Those of you with apprentices might take a look...
They won't need to borrow your kit, and hopefully will be very happy with their own gear.
Plus...you can snaffle their batteries!

Absolutely, great starter package.
my point abut the one i have, is that it is so powerful it can cause you an injury.
great if you know what you are doing and when to hold it with both hands and maybe a knee to help but not so good for a beginner!!!
They do come with handles for a reason, even the bare unit versions. Just saying.

that's got 30 more torques than my AEG and the AEG is more than enough for most use. dewalt impact spades fly through normal wood on it. can't sayabout 200 year old oak timbers. might need a 110V for them.

From Screwfix I think I got a 5Ah combi with 2 batts, and a 4Ah SDS also with 2 batts. Less than 300 for both. A charger and box each

Dewalt, T stak boxes

Those of you with apprentices might take a look...
They won't need to borrow your kit, and hopefully will be very happy with their own gear.
Plus...you can snaffle their batteries!

that's got 30 more torques than my AEG and the AEG is more than enough for most use. dewalt impact spades fly through normal wood on it. can't sayabout 200 year old oak timbers. might need a 110V for them.

Which is better then ,the Bosch or the the DeWalt impact spades ?

I have Dewalt spade bits - they're decent enough, but I don't think they're impact rated.

Irwin SpeedBor bits are also worth a look - those things tear through wood.
I've actually been testing one of the Irwins on the impact wrench
It's an old piece of furniture so I reckon the timber is pretty hard, gets through it though

I've started buying cheap SDS plus auger bits for the hilti 110v.
Got fed fed up messing about with SDS chuck adapters and keys

Sure sharpen them a few times and bin them then

I've actually been testing one of the Irwins on the impact wrench
It's an old piece of furniture so I reckon the timber is pretty hard, gets through it though

I've started buying cheap SDS plus auger bits for the hilti 110v.
Got fed fed up messing about with SDS chuck adapters and keys

Sure sharpen them a few times and bin them then

I pick up the occasional new SDS Plus bit on ebay at bargain prices. Some really good branded, old stock for less than the price of new junk.

Recently picked up a couple of Reisser Zentro (4 cutter) - top notch German made gear. In fact here's one with stock still available, although not sure if you can still use the likes of Parcel Motel for delivery to IE.

I pick up the occasional new SDS Plus bit on ebay at bargain prices. Some really good branded, old stock for less than the price of new junk.

Recently picked up a couple of Reisser Zentro (4 cutter) - top notch German made gear. In fact here's one with stock still available, although not sure if you can still use the likes of Parcel Motel for delivery to IE.
Thanks

Of course the fly in the ointment with timber is nails and knots

You can spend big and hit a nail

I used to have a 25mm wood bit that you'd replace the screws on it and sharpen it up , can't remember the name, was a bit more expensive than the basic

I have Dewalt spade bits - they're decent enough, but I don't think they're impact rated.

Irwin SpeedBor bits are also worth a look - those things tear through wood.
THESE ARE WHAT I HAVE.

THESE ARE WHAT I HAVE.

That's the ones and here's the type of Irwin bits I'd mentioned.

They come in stubby or long shank and are available in various sizes - individually or in sets. I only have them in 16, 20 & 25mm.

Pardon the pun, but it wood be these for me

Bosch Self-Cut Speed Flat Wood Drill Bit Set 8 Pcs - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/bosch-self-cut-speed-flat-wood-drill-bit-set-8-pcs/5393v

Reply to A good offer from Toolstation? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net