Discuss A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for the reminder; I've done the same and posted a link to the website and the You Tube video on my facebook profile.
I would imagine the reason people buy these in the first place is that feeling that doing something is better than nothing, while in reality in this situation that is not the case.

I agree that electricians and domestic installers are some of the best people to spread the word - this is an issue which we are the authority on and in many cases can advise customers on face to face.

An even more effective step would be if an authority such as the IET or NICEIC were to approach the retailers selling these things to advise them of the situation - obviously to a 'normal person' at face value these sound like a good idea.

I was in Next Fosse Park recently and noticed they have these covers in their sockets throughout the store, so i collared a Junior Manager and showed him the FF site on my phone. He seemed genuinely concerned, but I wonder if they'll actually take any notice!

I always show clients the FF website if they have young children.

We need a leaflet to print off and give to customers so they can visit the website and get more info, but then also show the leaflets to their friends etc too.

Hi ,its hard to believe that such a simple "safety device" could prove to be such a potentionally dangerous item,I must have seen hundreds of them in use . I know now to inform the householder of the dangers . Bondingbill

I've been tweeting about FF for ages, and got them removed from a few places in the Bracknell area when taking my 1 year old about.

I've referred numerous students to the FF site to raise awareness and even gone through it in class on the projector.

If there is anything else I can do then I'll be happy to.

Lots of shares on Facebook so people are taking an interest.

Dont have any kids my self but see them all the time in childrens centres i vist will do my best to point them to the web site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very strange to come across this thread, my wife has twins on the way and socket covers WERE on my list of must haves, not anymore, I have installed these things loads of times, on banks and shops etc, and like someone else mentioned i've seen them in plenty of nusery's and creches.
one thing I will say though, to the common man(myself included until 20 mins ago) a socket is a socket, and telling them about internal shutters on socket outlets will be wasting oxygen. would it not be better for the fatally flawed people to come up with another design for socket safety?
a simple letterbox system fixed with the socket screws springs to mind(50/50 dragons den??) as infairness if you stuck a nail in the earth terminal and opened the shutters, whats to stop you using your other hand and sticking another nail in the live terminal.

Last edited:
Very strange to come across this thread, my wife has twins on the way and socket covers WERE on my list of must haves, not anymore, I have installed these things loads of times, on banks and shops etc, and like someone else mentioned i've seen them in plenty of nusery's and creches.
one thing I will say though, to the common man(myself included until 20 mins ago) a socket is a socket, and telling them about internal shutters on socket outlets will be wasting oxygen. would it not be better for the fatally flawed people to come up with another design for socket safety?
a simple letterbox system fixed with the socket screws springs to mind(50/50 dragons den??) as infairness if you stuck a nail in the earth terminal and opened the shutters, whats to stop you using your other hand and sticking another nail in the live terminal.

That would take a very deliberate and coordinated effort

I have children myself so understand dangers and prevention

However this is idiocy, i certainly didnt play with sockets when i was a child and back then there wasnt internal shutters, and my kids dont either, decent parenting is the key

Kids could put a whole host of things in the earth terminal and then something into the live

What you will learn about this place is a lot of people have nothing much better to do with their time, one word springs to mind and thats jobsworth

Teach the children NOT to play with sockets and in turn you dont have a problem, ive got 2 kids aged 6 & 4 and neither one have ever bothered as i warn them how dangerous it is

Reply to A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net