Discuss A waste of time in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Farmelectrics

-
Arms
Reaction score
Changing a consumer over today no problem there 2 an a half hours to do few hours testing and then a waste of time which was my own fault up grading earthing to water and gas gas no problem water intake rear of house all down stairs laminated flooring so have to go around house through garage and into back of house and the relished the water pipe intake was plastic arrrrrrrr wasted 2 hours for nothing anyone else done similar

Changing a consumer over today no problem there 2 an a half hours to do few hours testing and then a waste of time which was my own fault up grading earthing to water and gas gas no problem water intake rear of house all down stairs laminated flooring so have to go around house through garage and into back of house and the relished the water pipe intake was plastic arrrrrrrr wasted 2 hours for nothing anyone else done similar

Gutted...bet you still charged the customer for the water bond though?

Every day mate! I have nearly done exactly the same a couple of years back, but tested it at the last minute and found it was plastic; 1st floor flat and appeared to be all metal within the flat, but noticed a modern looking water pipe duct labelled in the yard and thought better test this.

Errr ........ NO!

Some of us spend a little bit of time making an assesment of the job before even thinking about getting the tools out. :sailor:

I agree Geordie I should of bur eh **** happens lol

One of the builder blokes I worked for once asked my why it was that whenever he saw me I was "wandering about staring into space". The truth of the matter was I was assessing the job - looking for snags and alternative ways of doing it etc. so I had a very clear picture of what I was up against and how I was going to tackle it. That way, I did it right and did it once.

He, on the other hand, would just dive straight in & "crack on" and spend extra time often having to do the job twice or even three times over cos he cocked up.

One of the builder blokes I worked for once asked my why it was that whenever he saw me I was "wandering about staring into space". The truth of the matter was I was assessing the job - looking for snags and alternative ways of doing it etc. so I had a very clear picture of what I was up against and how I was going to tackle it. That way, I did it right and did it once.

He, on the other hand, would just dive straight in & "crack on" and spend extra time often having to do the job twice or even three times over cos he cocked up.

On occasions I wish I'd spent more time thinking of other ways. Customer says 'can you install a new socket, taking the supply from this one'. OK, I spend a while putting a horizontal chase in the wall, then realise that I could have tapped into an accessible cable running along the floor at the back of the cupboard units in an adjacent utility room which would have more than halved the job time.

Changing a consumer over today was no problem.I was there two and a half hours to do some testing and then a waste of time which was my own fault. Upgrading bonding to water and gas no problem. Water intake at the rear of house, all of down stairs had laminated flooring so I had to go around house and through the garage, and into the back of the house and then realised the water pipe intake was plastic!! Arrrrrrrrgh!! Wasted 2 hours for nothing, anyone else done similar?

There you go mate....corrected that for you so it's possible to read it without going blue in the face.

I don't think you have wasted your time. Reg 528.3.4 'Where an electrical service is located in close proximately to one or more non-electrical services, both the following shall be met (i) Wiring system shall be suitably protected etc....(ii) Fault protection shall be afforded in accordance with the requirements of section 411. So IMO, if you can't confirm cables are not affected by heat from hot water or CH pipes, then you have to bond internal metal water pipe.

Next time your at the wholesalers can you ask them if they have any commas in stock??

Reply to A waste of time in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net