Discuss AC At Home Anyone? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

LeeH

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Anybody have AC?

I’m looking to fit one in the bedroom as working 12h days/shifts is not pleasant on 2 hours sleep.

I will install myself and pull in a favour from the fridge boys/contractor at work to commission as they are F gas registered.

1st choice was a cheaply generic unit for 500, but Mitsubishi do a nice Zen unit that seems to get a lot of praise and the Black looks better in the house.

Thoughts? Dakin seems to be the market leader followed my Mitsubishi.

Fujitsu have a small form factor if you are trying to squeeze it above a door or window.
If you have an account at Wolseley, you can get them from there.
As for install, if you can get it on an outside wall, condensate can escape under gravity, otherwise you will need a pump which significantly increases the cost and time to install. Short pipework runs are best and outdoor unit is best at a height of ground to 8ft high, otherwise its much harder to install/maintain

I assisted a friend in installing a wall-mounted AC system in his house last year. It was a simple job, and the pre-finished pipework was easy to connect. No need for a special engineer as it was pre-charged with either propenae or butane as the refrigerant. He reported to me this morning that it is coping admirably in the current hot weather. I must say i was impressed with the overall quality of both the inside and outside units, but of course, with pre-formed pipework it's important to get youe distances correct. He bought the unit from aircondirect.co.uk and here is a shot of the manual. I believe it was the 12,ooo unit we installed.
1686818585568.png

Crap, totally forgot about the condensate but I can get a little diaphragm pump from work. It cannot go on the outside unfortunately.

I intend to install the pipework through some soil pipe to match the downpipes/vent pipe so can run a flexi down that.

Warranty requires fgas cert, this will cost me a crate of beer so I will install myself and they can commission for me.

Thanks all, I’ll keep shopping about the these prices are lower than the contractor can supply at cost which he was surprised at.

An alternative for condensate run, if its on an internal wall you can run the pipe work on the other side of the wall and box in. This is how i have it as on the other side of the wall is just a walk in wardrobe so i have hidden all the pipework in the wardrobe. Condensate pumps vary in design from the ones that run continuously and can run even if there is no condensate, to the small units that collect small amounts in a chamber and when the float switch operates it then dumps it in one go.
I prefer these but they are not cheap

I got one a few years ago, I installed it myself as it was a quick connect one. I don't think you can get the type I got anymore because the air con guys threw a fit about them apparently. It was this sort of connector on it.

just plug and play, £450 and its been one of the best investments I've made, but I'm currently building an extension where I put it and it will have to move soon, not sure how you gas them up again

The supposed quick connect ones nowadays seem to still need vaccing out even though they are pre gassed.

ooopps wrong one

Perfect, it has to be quiet as it in the loft above the bedroom.

The Mitsubishi was on a long lead time so they recommended this.

The pump is hidden in the trunking and looks like this pic above when all covered up.

TBH 18 months ago i installed a ASYG09KETA from Fujitsu - straight forward no nonsense unit and the price for indoor and outdoor unit was £416 ex VAT - If you speak to Wolesley even without my discount it will be cheaper than what you a re looking at and TBH Fujitsu do actually have UK support and answer the phone.

I generally fit Fujitsu, Daikin, Toshiba as i get good service and backup,

Last edited:
We put a couple of Panasonic units in (living room and main bedroom) they have been OK for years.

Basically we run the copper pipe, silver soldered it where required and pressurised it for a numer of days, since it held pressure long term, we then evacuated the pipework (~£20 vacuum pump), and opened the valves.

The pre-charged ones indicate what is an acceptable length of pipework (and what size), providing you keep to this and ensure there are no leaks it's pretty easy.

Ours needed condensate drain (which we run down and away from the wall) I believe soe don't.

We have used them for both cooling and heating (when the boiler broke down and we had to wait for parts)

Yup, the one I installed came with the pipework already sized and with the terminations all factory fitted, and everything was pre-charged, so plug n play really. Just had to make sure to measure and order the right length of pipework.

Reply to AC At Home Anyone? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net