Discuss Adding Outside sockets to existing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all ,
I understand that you can’t spur of off a spur , ideally adding sockets would best be done by splitting the ring and completing it. Currently have an outside socket on the back of the house which won’t be used at all but we have a decking area further up the garden which I want to add 2 sockets too , my question is ; can I turn the outside socket into a junction box and then run off that to a socket and then to the next socket ... or is there a better way ? I don’t want to do a complete ring obviously as it would be in armoured and that means 2 running up the garden. Any help appreciated.

Currently have an outside socket on the back of the house which won’t be used at all but we have a decking area further up the garden which I want to add 2 sockets too , my question is ; can I turn the outside socket into a junction box and then run off that to a socket and then to the next socket ... or is there a better way ?
Is that existing socket on the ring, or is it on a spur from the ring?

If the latter, is it fused or unfused?

Is the circuit on an RCD?

The Housing organisation have hounded me for five years because I was charging my powerchair and mobility scooter under the stairwell. Eventually they put a tin garden shed but no power so I carried on charging under the stairwell and storing them in the shed.

They offered no solution and eventually threatened me with eviction so I got a friend to drill a hole through my wall and fit an IP56 socket connected to a plug in my ground floor flat. Now I charge them outside and store my machines in the shed.

It could as easily been a spur off my kitchen ring but when they discover what I've done I can prove I haven't tampered with their installation as it is just an extension lead through wall. They do allow drilling walls, by implication for hanging pictures, but drilling is drilling!

If the existing external socket is on the ring, you cannot spur from there to one socket point, then to another, as that would be a spur from a spur.

you could replace the original with a weatherproof switch fuse connection unit, then your two new points will be off the 13A fuse.

however, any new works do need to have rcd protection.

fit a IP65 13A fused FCU next to trhe existing socket. then you can add as many sockets as you need on a spur, bearing in mind the max. load of 13A.

Here we go again.

Why not?

Why replace it?

Because you cannot spur from a spur, unless there is an FCU in place. Which I don't believe there is in this case.

Littlespark is saying if you fit an FCU then you can fit two sockets as required.

Makes sense to me.

it's not a spur off a spur. it's multiple sockets on a spur.

The first sentence of the OP show the understanding of not having “a spur from a spur” so fishing out the relative reg number is a waste of time.

I suggested changing the original socket to a FCU as the OP also said he wasn’t bothered about keeping it in use, just the two new ones.

Reply to Adding Outside sockets to existing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net