Discuss adding to a mcb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Perfectly fine in my opinion! Extending the RFC could be a nightmare.
Or as I've seen numerous times... Two Spurs off one point! In my opinion bad practice but most CB's can take 4x2.5 so it complies with regulations... :/

Seeing as your taking a cable from the mcb anyway crimp one leg of the ring and extend the ring to the two sockets. Don't over think it, keep it simple

+1
standard practice and most obvious as to whats happened later on meaning another sparky later on wont be, dare i say it 'ignorant' to the 4mm radial being fine and make a song and dance about it.

Yes, why not?

Dillb, I am in disagreement with the issue of adding a 4mm radial to an already existing RFC, I can only quote app 15 as 1 un fused spur from any point on a RFC, there have been arguments for and against, its not something I would do,suffice to say imo I don't think it's the right way to go. Others will disagree with me, but thats OK we all have our opinions haven't we, end of as far as I'm concerned

Dillb, I am in disagreement with the issue of adding a 4mm radial to an already existing RFC, I can only quote app 15 as 1 un fused spur from any point on a RFC, there have been arguments for and against, its not something I would do,suffice to say imo I don't think it's the right way to go. Others will disagree with me, but thats OK we all have our opinions haven't we, end of as far as I'm concerned

Just to correct you here Pete,app 15 does not state only one unfused spur from any point on a RFC,it states that an unfused spur can only supply one point.The two are not the same.

Edit....not wanting to get into a debate on the pro's and cons,just stating facts.

Just to correct you here Pete,app 15 does not state only one unfused spur from any point on a RFC,it states that an unfused spur can only supply one point.The two are not the same.

Edit....not wanting to get into a debate on the pro's and cons,just stating facts.

Well OK then take your point, so are you saying tHat you can't take an un fused spur from any point on a RFC?

you can take 2 unfused spurs from the same point on a RFC with the proviso that

1. you don't overload a short leg of the RFC, and

2/ each spur feeds only 1 outlet.

you can take 2 unfused spurs from the same point on a RFC with the proviso that

1. you don't overload a short leg of the RFC, and

2/ each spur feeds only 1 outlet.

Show me where it states then Tel, and I'll shut up about it

So you're saying just because BS 7671 doesn't say you can't does that mean you can then?

You know as well as most on here thats not true.

BUT as long as the the ccc of the cable is fine, Zs values comply, volt drop is acceptable then there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 4mm cable being used to spur several sockets on a RFC without the need for a FCU. All of these are highlighted in the BGB so there you go the regs does say it is acceptable.

You can only have one point on an unfused spur.

The minimum cable size for a ring is 2.5mm, not the only permitted size.

So an unfused spur in 4mm is still an unfused spur and should only have one point connected to it for the ring circuit to comply with the standard ring circuit defined by the regs.

Of course you may choose to make a deviation from the regulations and install an unfused spur from the ring in 4mm with 2 points on it, and this would be perfectly safe if designed and installed properly but would still be a deviation.

You know as well as most on here thats not true.

BUT as long as the the ccc of the cable is fine, Zs values comply, volt drop is acceptable then there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 4mm cable being used to spur several sockets on a RFC without the need for a FCU. All of these are highlighted in the BGB so there you go the regs does say it is acceptable.

Well why was the statement made, I don't mean to be difficult but the statement was made

Reply to adding to a mcb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net