Discuss additional sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

melmid

Guys a neighbour is having a conservatory fitted and he wants me to do the wiring.The CU is the rewireable fuse type,i can fit extra sockets by breaking into the ring in the dining room how can i comply with current regulations without changing the CU?

you could replace the rewireable fuses supplying the ringmain with fuse style RCBO's to ensure RCD protection in compliance with the 17th, so make sure you have a clear earth to neutral before doing anything, otherwise you could be setting yourself up for a right fker of a job

and dont forget to test the ring before you do any work on it what so ever, ie. check for a continuous ring, spurs, inter-connections. if it's not up to scratch before you start, dont start

any problems later on when doing the minor works cert and you will be responsible for the whole circuit

anyone feel free to correct me or add anything, it's late so much may have slipped through the net here...

No reason why you cant leave the CU well alone and run the ring into an enclosure with an RCD and 16a mcb local to the conservatory, then run the additional sockets as a radial from that. As stated by uksel ensure the ring is a ring and no IR issues before starting......guess main bonding wont be up to scratch either,if not you will have to do it.

Another option for you would be to remove the ring from the 3036 board and into an enclosure next to it fitted with an RCD and MCB in a similar fashion to wirepuller's method.

You could then use the spare fuseway in the 3036 board to feed the new RCD thus giving the whole ring circuit RCD protection.

As the lads have suggested some pre-work checks are needed to make sure things are up to scratch....or not.

I saw them in wickes the other day - was surprised at seeing them actually, which is why i made a double take just to check

Reply to additional sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net