Discuss Advice on a quality torch please. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Looking at getting a torch for when peering under floor boards, in lofts and when rooting around looking for a CU under the stairs. Would prefer and LED version. Have looked at the Maglite LED range and also the brand LED Lenser.

What are others using, as I see they are quite expensive and not wanting to buy one and find its rubbish:mad:

Surefire. I had a LED Lenser divers torch great beam strength and battery life, lost the sodding thing a couple of weeks back so haven't replaced it yet.:mad:

have a look at this torch. I have one of these for mountain bikin night rides. Megga bright, get the charger with 2 batteries, approx 3 hrs burn time each. Very small, also v handy too. V reccomended and much better than a maglite.
TrustFire TR-801 Cree Q5-WC 5-Mode Memory 230-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650) [E1839] : BestOfferBuy.com, Buy DVD, Shop for PC accessories, Discount MP3 Players, Bargain Deal for Surveillance Equipment, Cheap R4 for NDS, X-sim Unlock

also use it for day to day work too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely a head torch is better. Can get these from almost anywhere these days.

No more jaw ache from holding the damn torch between your teeth!!!!

Cotswold camping their range is adequate to pick up something decent!!!

For peering under floorboards and lofts I have a LED Maglite - sure its not the cheapest around but does the job in a far better way than my headtorch!

Surely a head torch is better. Can get these from almost anywhere these days.

No more jaw ache from holding the damn torch between your teeth!!!!

Cotswold camping their range is adequate to pick up something decent!!!

Got a head torch for when working and both hands are needed

Surefire. I had a LED Lenser divers torch great beam strength and battery life, lost the sodding thing a couple of weeks back so haven't replaced it yet.:mad:

For peering under floorboards and lofts I have a LED Maglite - sure its not the cheapest around but does the job in a far better way than my headtorch!

How robust are the Maglite LED and Lenser torches. Can they stand getting dropped and knocked about easily.

Had the standard Maglites in the past and its solid, just didn't know if the LED versions were the same or not

min'es acetylene. keeps going out though.

I'd highly reccomend a DeWalt or Makita Flourescent lamp if you have the batterie's for them. I've found that they are more effective than LED's.

under floors, a maglite and a van mirror for fishing cables. attic work has got to be head torch.

I would recommend something from Fenix:
FenixTorch

I was looking for a torch, and done a lot of research. I finally settled on this brand for price vs quality.
You can browse through their selection and choose a brightness and size that suits.

Led Lenser was a joy apart form the switch which was a twist action single handed it was a nightmare, they have sorted it now and put a switch on it. Build quality was great dropped it many a time HARD!!, it was waterproof to 60m as well, hence the diver part of the name :). I'm in the market looking for a replacement just want to see if there is anything better out there before buying another.

I just changed mine its a retractable led torch come work light got it from CEF magnetic base its great ... did get my head stuck between to floor boards once couldnt get out because of the head torch ..apprentice couldnt stop laughing so he was on tea duty the rest of the week plus he had to buy the kit kat chunkies

9 Led aluminum alloy torch from Tesco, £2. bought 3 a year ago and still haven't wrecked the first one, its also been dropped in a water tank. got fed up losing, or haven stolen expensive maglites.

Hi,
I can vouch for the Lenser as I do dive and use one. At 30 mtrs plus you are starting to lose the natural light so you need something that's v bright. as for quality these things as the name suggests are waterproof ( not just water resistant) to 60m +. They have to be tough due to the pressure as well.

Cheers and have a Great Christmas.

Lofty

I have a cracking head torch £4.99 from Wilkinsons, 7 led's, had it for about 3 years or so. It is that good i have a spare in the van just in case i break it. I also have a set of 3 LED torches, they are about 3 inch long and an inch wide, really bright, just right to keep in your pocket, i also keep one in the van, and one in the toolbox. All metal construction, had loads of knocks and bangs and still keep going. Maglite quality, but wait for it................£3.95 for a set of 3 complete with batteries, from Aldi, thats a price you can afford if you lose one, unlike the maglites.

I heartily recommend LED Lenser torches. Saw comparison tests on YouTube with Maglite and others and LED Lenser wins every time.
I've had Maglites in the past but not good enough for what they cost, and cheap torches are a false economy for me as I drop them and break or drown them. My LED Lenser P4 was £14 at Maplin and is nigh on indestructible and makes a good head torch when used with a NiteIze headband.
I also use a flashlight OVI application on my Nokia C6 to turn its LED flash into an emergency torch.

I've got a Lighthouse make of torch but cant find it anywhere online, even in their own product range.

It's a big chunky blue thing with led's at one end and a bright halogen type light at the other. It's rechargeable and is bomb proof, just cant find it online anywhere.

I got it from LBS, for about £15. Bargain!!!

Led Lenser was a joy apart form the switch which was a twist action single handed it was a nightmare, they have sorted it now and put a switch on it. Build quality was great dropped it many a time HARD!!, it was waterproof to 60m as well, hence the diver part of the name :). I'm in the market looking for a replacement just want to see if there is anything better out there before buying another.

Let me know if you want an LED Lenser, i use one when im on Coastguard shouts and was so impressed i tend to stick to selling these over any others, they have a range to suit most needs

A maglite AA is a good torch to use, you can get one in Lidl for 8.99 , I see mentioned above the name "Surefire" there is actually a brand of torch called surefire from the USA but they are made and designed for use by the Army and for Hunting etc, and you will get a price shock if you go to buy one of them, as they start at 90 pounds for a basic one and go up to 400 pounds, and they all run on CR123A Batteries, for those of you who don't know what CR123A batteries are they are the ones that you see in shops for Cameras, they are 7.99 each and you need 2 for a surefire, so thats 16pounds a time to re-power....
A maglite AA is a great little torch and ideal to fit into your tool belt...and almost unbreakable..

local B&M stores, LED torch c/w 2 D batteries £1.99, bought 3, don't matter if i lose 1.

I find head torches a pain and normal torches you have to hold !

Thats why i prefer a dewalt goose neck. its goes anywhere and i can charge batteries on site !

Reply to Advice on a quality torch please. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net