Discuss Advice on training course.. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm very close to agreeing to start a course with Train4Jobs and am hoping that there are members who have either qualified this way, have begun training with them or know anybody who has completed with them and can give me feedback/advice both positive and negative.

I'm signing up to a 3 year course where I'll be working towards NVQ level 3 and feel confident having had 1 meeting with someone described himself as a careers advisor and have a secondary meeting tomorrow.

Obviously I still have 100 more questions but it's looking like I am going to begin the course unless I find something I really don't like.

Thanks in advance,

Lee.

at least you are doing it the proper way, you could go to one of them magic sheds where you go in and 18 days later say tonight matthew i am going to be an electrician!
Scary to think somebody could go to tradeskills4u tomorrow and in time for xmas have enough certificates to join the elecsa!

The other issue is that these training centres often lock you into a finance agreement so that even if you cancel halfway through, you are still liable to pay the full outstanding amount for the entire course.

at least you are doing it the proper way, you could go to one of them magic sheds where you go in and 18 days later say tonight matthew i am going to be an electrician!
Scary to think somebody could go to tradeskills4u tomorrow and in time for xmas have enough certificates to join the elecsa!

Elecsa only needs 17th, can have these by Monday?

Hi Lee
Have you looked into your local technical college for the same qualifications you will find that a lot of electrical firms who employ electricians will value a technical college far more than a tradeskills 4u company. One thing to remember is a lot of electricians you will be applying to for a job will have been to the local technical college in your area and know the tutors who will be teaching you. I dont think this is the case with the course you are looking into and you will probably find it will be cheaper.
Previous students who are now fully qualified will almost certainly ask there old college tutors for someone they recommend to give a start as a sparks mate.

Well done on reading the small print m8 you could of parted with a lot of money and ended up with no onsite experience or placement with a company to gain the experience. The best way to ensure work experience and training is always the apprenticeship route which will usually take 4 or 5 years but it sometimes is a route not all of us can take.

Well done on reading the small print m8 you could of parted with a lot of money and ended up with no onsite experience or placement with a company to gain the experience. The best way to ensure work experience and training is always the apprenticeship route which will usually take 4 or 5 years but it sometimes is a route not all of us can take.

Agreed.
Many at a certain age who’ve family, mortgage, or rent, finance agreements, car, will make being an apprentice near on impossible.

I’m going down the college route part-time and what will be will be will be, only looking to take the domestic route not commercial or site work.

Totally agree m8 im in me 40s with all the above so apprenticeship was not an option im going about it by getting the qualifications at college and experience when im not at college working with a qualified spark.

I hear you, but for a man in his early 30's, who has gotten turned down by every apprenticeship going, what other choice do I have?
Seriously, I am asking.

I hear you, but for a man in his early 30's, who has gotten turned down by every apprenticeship going, what other choice do I have?
Seriously, I am asking.

Early thirties is still young and I appreciate firms have turned you down that’s why it would be best to take the proper recognised route and that’s college.

Most do evening classes 2 nights a week and this way at least with a level 2 and 3 you can then move on to maybe an improver then go down the NVQ route and I’m pretty sure you’ll probably have more chance of an apprenticeship if you’ve put the work in at college.

I’m not knocking 5 w courses but I’d never recommend them over college where you’ll learn from scratch.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

Reply to Advice on training course.. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net