Discuss AFCI keeps tripping - replaced outlet, checked switches - how to choose replacement? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

MHDguy

DIY
Reaction score
Our family room is part of an addition built a few years ago. We had an issue with nuisance tripping on an AFCI and the electrician came and replaced it saying the one we had was later found to be faulty. All was fine until I bought a new Denon receiver to replace an older Onkyo.

I plugged the Denon into a power strip in the media center cabinet and the AFCI tripped a short while later. And it kept tripping randomly but very frequently.

I did a lot of troubleshooting including plugging directly to the outlet thinking the power strip was a problem and ended up both replacing that outlet (old one looked fine and wiring was okay) and moved the power strip with receiver to the dining room outlet on a different (non-AFCI/older) breaker.
The family room continued to trip when overhead lights were on. At this point it only had the TV plugged into one outlet. All other outlets empty. Also have overhead LEDs and outdoor patio lights on different Lutron smart switches which have been working fine for years.

This morning, I took both switch boxes apart and redid all the connections with WAGO connectors covered with electrical tape. The AFCI still tripped with just overhead and patio lights on. It tripped one more time with the TV unplugged from its normal outlet and instead plugged into the power strip attached the the new outlet in the media center. No lights on. No other outlets used.

The AFCI has little to no wording on it. See attached image with red rectangle around it.

I'm not sure if there is any other reason for this other than a second faulty/nuisance tripping AFCI?

If so, which Eaton version would I replace it with since this has no wording to guide me?

Thanks!!

IMG_3802.jpg

Going to answer my own question.
Went to local electric supply store and purchased a new Eaton AFCI
Shut down power on all breakers then main.
Swapped out AFCI
Powered on
No more nuisance tripping

Going to answer my own question.
Went to local electric supply store and purchased a new Eaton AFCI
Shut down power on all breakers then main.
Swapped out AFCI
Powered on
No more nuisance tripping
AFCI breakers has been tripping randomly ever since they started requiring them in certain circuits. One thing I have noticed is never unplug anything that is pulling power because if it’s under a load it will arc which it will trip the breaker.

Reply to AFCI keeps tripping - replaced outlet, checked switches - how to choose replacement? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net